Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after any kind of driving, after i stop and get out of the car i can smell like something burning, pretty strong smell.
The thing is, about 3 weeks ago i was driving about 200 meters with my handbrake on ( i was in a hurry and i was all over the place and didn't notice, had the music on ) and when i got home my neughbour told me he could hear squeeling noise from my car, and then i realized my handbrake was on whole time, after that my brakes are pretty bad, they don't brake as well as they used to, so could any of this cause the smell that i get after driving?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Possibly. There are quite a few things that can go wrong but for now, do any of the discs look different or after a drive, is one of the brake discs warmer than its pair. Be aware that brake discs can get hot in certain conditions so don't put a finger straight onto the disc. Place hand nearby to feel for excess heat first. If it doesn't seem too hot, tap it with a finger rather than holding a finger on the disc. That way you can assess heat without being injured.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try to jack up the rear of the car. Check if the rear wheels are able to move freely and that the handbrake is totally released.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If there's an oil leak that's landing on a hot surface such as the car. There is a very distinct sort of hot smell. Is it using oil at all?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
There’s a big difference from the smell of Burning Oil, Brakes, Clutch,, Electrics.
Try and decipher which smell it is may help people help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Overheated brake pads give off gasses that smell, but this stops after they cool off.

TS engines seem to have a habit of developing oil leaks from the cam cover gasket (at least mine does, despite new gasket...), which every now and then drips a drop from the front edge of the cam cover onto the hot exhaust manifold.

My exhaust manifold no longer has a heat shield fitted so the oil drop drips directly onto the header pipe and instantly vapourises, briefly smelling quite strongly. In this case the oil drop burns completely and leaves hardly any tell tale mark on the header pipe. I only know about my drip because by chance I saw it happen, i.e. standing in front of an idling engine, spied a dropping oil drip, then a puff of smoke, followed by a strong bad smell (smells a lot like differential oil, because the oil I use - Penrite - has a fair bit of zinc in it).

If a heat shield were fitted, then oil would probably drip onto the shield. I think the sheild would probably get hot enough to burn the oil off, just not so quickly and perhaps with a somewhat less pungent result.

Regards,
John.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts