Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im about to pick up my 147 on friday its a manual 2.0 black leather all the extras, im just wondering if anyone has lowered a 147 30mm with 19s or just gone for 18s whats best. Also im trying to decide which kit to get either a 147 gta replica kit or the ms design skirt any opinions or views even pics would be great

thanks

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Hi, I think most of the people here would agree that if you want to use your car daily on less than absolutely perfect roads, 17" wheels are the max. If you don’t drive in Switzerland or similar country, lowered 147 on 19" wheel will be very very uncomfortable. You would have to use something like 225/30 or 235/30 R19 tyres. (19" rim weight is an issue as well)

Body kit is a matter of taste, you can find enough pictures of GTA bodykit on http://www.helvetia-spoiler.it/147.asp and MS design here http://www.ms-design.com/carx1ms1_1.icc?lang=de&cty=at&car=204

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I've got 17" Sport alloys and wouldn't recommend going any bigger!
Took some getting used to as it is.

Had to go for an iPod because the in dash CD skipped so much and I still have problems with the wheels following the road surface & skipping on the thicker white road lines! Keeps me on my toes. :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
ALFA 147 said:
Hi all im about to pick up my 147 on friday its a manual 2.0 black leather all the extras, im just wondering if anyone has lowered a 147 30mm with 19s or just gone for 18s whats best. Also im trying to decide which kit to get either a 147 gta replica kit or the ms design skirt any opinions or views even pics would be great

thanks
19's or 18's? you're having a laugh aren't you? They are far too big for the car imo. Don't tell me they are going to be chrome too...

Welcome btw!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Non standard wheels & bodykits (ie. not Alfa) are :vomit: IMHO:rolleyes:

Each to their own though I suppose;)

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Somebody has been watching too much "Pimp my Ride" on FiveUS ... :wow:

I watch if purely for the entertainment value .. to see how ludicrous they can be ...

and how stupid the owners are ... but being America someone will hopefully side-swipe them with a Peterbilt truck :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just like to be difrrent actually not chrome wheels rs6 wheels i was planning on getting, i like making cars diffrent last was a vectra gsi which i shelled about 15k into mainly the 3.0 engine which i fitted myself and alot of ice which was in total vauxhall 7 page spread and wasnt a chav ride if thats what you were getting at subtle styling mainly irmscher and vx and 19s etc 270bhp so i know what im on about and im not 24 not 17, thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
18's.........it will look cool as.....again get the GT 18'' alloys i think they look awsome! Although you may want to price up a tire package, youll soon change yr mind and stick with the 17's! 17's with eagle F1's youll be flying around the corners!.........Although with the GTA kit, i would go for 18''!!!

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
As you can see, you'll always get a good cross section of opinions on this site.

If the question is a technical one then you will (usuallly) get good answers based on experience. On the more subjective question of styling you are bound to get a variety of answers (and occasional p155 take!)which won't necessarily be to your liking.

IMO, if you like something then do it. It's your car so who cares whether we all have the same tastes. It's just that some of us feel that our Alfas are perfect without the need for mods.

Good luck with your new car and welcome to AO.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The 147 can barely take 17s, let alone 19s. Put them on and you'll have ride quality worse than a go-kart. Up to you, but I'd avoid 'em like the plague, regardless of what they look like.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have 19s on my 147, with the car lowered on coilovers, the wheels have been on the car for over a year and a half, and it handles great, with no rubbing appart from on really tight full lock when parking sometimes. Ok it might be a bit ruff for some peoples tastes, but get it out on the open road and you are practicly fealing the road surface with your fingertips. Having said all that I am thinking about going back to some alfa alloys, as I am sick of spotty 17 year olds wanting a race:cheese:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I find that my turning circle is rubbish and I use full lock quite alot. Regular rubbing of the tyres would worry me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts