Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for some advice before I start as bit of a newbie to vehicle electrics.

I am planning to add an “aux in” to my bella: a 2003 147 2.0TS Lusso. I bought the blaupunkt cd-changer to phono lead and after shorting the data in/out sure enough the hu showed “changer” and my xperia arc phone played its tunes through the ICE. Happy days.

So now I know it all works I want to route an audio input, switch and power suppy to the glovebox. This way I can switch between “Changer” and “CD” on the HU and also provide power to a small line amp in the glovebox to boost the low level output of my phone. Once I have got this all working I intend to upgrade the front door speakers too.

My help needed:
1) Can I use the switched 12+ output on the blue ISO block to power a cig socket added to the glovebox? If using this feed is the glovebox powered off unless “changer is selected” on the HU?
2) What rating of cable and in-line fuse should I add to protect the circuit?
3) Where can you buy the little connectors to fit the end of the cables into the iso choc-box?
4) What is the best way to remove the glovebox inner trim so I can modify and add the sockets etc. into the trim to make it look like a pro install :eek:)
5) Thinking of wiring an Fiio E5 into the glovebox powered via the new cig socket – as my phone has low level output - anybody got experience of these?

Also speaker wise I am thinking between the following, any advice welcome:

Edge Street ED306
Pioneer TS-G172Ci
Hertz Dieci DSK 165

Intent to add dynamat or similar on door around speakers - I just want a little more bass and a lot more clarity than the standard speakers and don’t want to change standard HU and ruin aesthetics of my bella interior. Don't want to spend mega money - as its only a second car but as a Linn fan at home need more hifi quality than std setup. Btw anybody know where to buy the rubber bungs for the interior door handles as apparently they get destroyed when you remove door trims :rolleyes:

Look forward to responses – this forum has already got me this far so sure I can finish this little project with your help (although snow has stopped play this weekend :cry: )

Thanks in advance...:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll start with an apology as I'm going to ask a question about your post, rather than answer your questions. Sorry.

You said you shorted the data in/out, can you describe how you do this. I've got the cable for my 147 but my head unit doesn't recognise it so I can't switch to changer. I've been hunting the web for help but only found posts that suggest my head unit won't work :-(

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
There is probably a live +5v that needs to be grounded in order for the head unit to recognise that there is an additional cd chager installed. Once its grounded it would then give you the option of CD changer on the head unit.

I know the Dension ipod connections work through the cd changer port to do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there istacey
Really sorry - haven't been on here for ages.
Do you still need some help.
My understanding is that newer head units might not work - my car is an 03plate and worked fine by putting a wire across the Data In Data Out pins on the ISO connector.
All works find on my Bella - have a switch wired between the input and output of the Data pins on the ISO blue connector. All i do is power of the HU switch and voila can play music from my phone. Power off - flick the switch and now I can use the cd player in the HU.
Hope you got on OK. but if you still need help I can send you link to wiring diagram I used and switch / cable I bought from Maplin. Was all v easy once i removed the glovebox inner.
Also upgraded door speakers - massive difference: deffo recommend if you have standard alfa speakers.
Msg me if you need any help :eek:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've got a 55 plate, and the 3.17 head unit, which through research seems like it doesn't work quite as easily.

I'll short out them connectors and see what happens. Worst case scenario I blow the head unit up and I have to get another one from scrap or something!

The wiring diagram would be interesting to see.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ian,

link below if from the website I bought the blue plug and crimp connectors.

Information about Car Radio ISO Wiring Harness Adapters

Pins 13 and 14 are the ones to short. You can buy a ready made cable for £5 to try it out so its not much to spend to find out if it works:

Blaupunkt Aux-IN Input Adapter £4.99 - Car Audio Accessories - Aux/iPod Adapters Radioworld Car Audio: Accessories, Headunits, Speakers, Subwoofers, Amplifiers & More

All you need to do pull out the ICE headunit - remove the blue blank plug and insert this lead. Connect to your phone/ipod. Connect a wire across the pins. Power up car and fingers crossed. You shouldn't blow anything up as its very low voltage / current so no risk of damage that I am aware: as long as you put the wire across the right pins.

If it works you can then buy the bits and make up your own cable etc. like I did or just use the one you bought if its ok for your needs.

Best of luck and let me know if you need anymore help.

Nathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts