Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

a year ago I purchased an alfa 147 (right Hand Drive ) and been restoring it slowly to its former glory. Most stuff has been solved and getting near completion but I have a problem getting the original Factory installed alarm working. Originally I could not even find the location of the siren as everyone seemed to be saying that it was supposed to be located near the front left-hand side wheel arc and there was nothing so I was in doubt if the ultrasonic sensors and front led were fake. After a while, I found that the siren was installed near the wiper motor just below the windscreen covered with the plastic that covers the wiper motor.

I while ago I managed to buy an original alarm so as soon as I found the location of the syren I just replaced the old one but had no luck. I, therefore, tried to locate the 2 modules that came with the kit and again I just could not find their location until I spotted the little module that connects the ultrasonics stuck in between the plastic of the dashboard and a metal bracket at the far right-hand side of the dashboard. I just could not pull it out from its location and was wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem or replaced an alarm on a right-hand drive alfa 147 maybe they can give me some hints.

I was also wondering if anyone can give me some other hints that could save me the trouble to dismantle everything. Could it be an electrical fuse that I am not aware of?

Having said that all other electrics including the immobilizer let are working. I also tried to reseat the alarm cable that connects to the cabin fuse box and nothing changed.

I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
It's not clear what you have changed. The 147 siren should be above the passenger side wheelarch liner. I know I've seen mine when I've had the liner out, but can't remember whether it was front or back.

If it's been moved to the scuttle, how the wiring has been extended may be an issue.

When you lock the car on the fob, do the indicators flash twice? And once when unlocking? NB that manually locking with the key does not activate the alarm.

Normal UK setting would also give a chirrup through the siren on arming, but it's possible to set the alarm to other countries which have silent arming. This may have been done on your car, so don't rely on no sound meaning the alarm isn't working.

The only part of the alarm that I've had trouble with is the ultrasonic & tilt sensor panel, up by the mirror. I'm on my 3rd. Faults I've had are tilt sensor triggering randomly, especially in hot weather, and ultrasonics not working. The panels are cheap s/h on eBay, usually around £10-12. Don't worry about the state or colour of the faceplate as the electronics and sensors are easily swapped to your original. It's a 2 minute job to lever the old panel out, unplug the connector and replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not clear what you have changed. The 147 siren should be above the passenger side wheelarch liner. I know I've seen mine when I've had the liner out, but can't remember whether it was front or back.

If it's been moved to the scuttle, how the wiring has been extended may be an issue.

When you lock the car on the fob, do the indicators flash twice? And once when unlocking? NB that manually locking with the key does not activate the alarm.

Normal UK setting would also give a chirrup through the siren on arming, but it's possible to set the alarm to other countries which have silent arming. This may have been done on your car, so don't rely on no sound meaning the alarm isn't working.

The only part of the alarm that I've had trouble with is the ultrasonic & tilt sensor panel, up by the mirror. I'm on my 3rd. Faults I've had are tilt sensor triggering randomly, especially in hot weather, and ultrasonics not working. The panels are cheap s/h on eBay, usually around £10-12. Don't worry about the state or colour of the faceplate as the electronics and sensors are easily swapped to your original. It's a 2 minute job to lever the old panel out, unplug the connector and replace.
Thanks Guys!

I appreciate you trying to help e with this mystery.
I will start by saying that I did not change anything and can confirm that the previous owner did not change anything either. I was asking if anyone had previous experience with the location of the alarm on a right-hand drive because the cabling is the same size as the ones fitted on the left-hand drive version and I am pretty sure that this is the reason why the siren is fitted under the scuttle.

If you take into consideration that the fuse box is on the right-hand side instead of the left there is no way that the original cabling can reach the left side arc of the car.
From what I can see I can confirm that the alarm was factory fitted as the wiring is tied in with other cabling covered in the usual black fabric type as the rest of the car. There is no way that this could have bene done other than at the factory.

As for the Car I can close and open the car from the Key remote and the indicators do flash. The internal led on the panel where the boot release is located also flashes but the led that is situated middle bottom of the windscreen does not work. I also locked the car leaving the windows open and put my hand in to check if the ultrasonics will detect me and nothing happened. I even tried opening the doors without using the remote and nothing happened, so I am quite sure that something is wrong or somehow it has been disabled.

The user manual does not mention any fuses related to the Alarm so I am guessing that at least, one of the 2 modules is busted.

I am also suspecting that the siren has a built-in backup battery. Does anyone know if there is a battery? and if it will continue to work if the backup battery fails?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
As I understand it from eLearn, alarm component locations are identical on LHD and RHD, and as shown in the diagram in alarm2.pdf provided by jwq, above. Which shows the 147 siren toward the rear of the wheelarch, behind the liner. As far as I know, there is only one alarm LED, on the centre console. My 2008 car doesn't have an 'led that is situated middle bottom of the windscreen'.

That pdf mentions that the ultrasonic transducers are contained in the A-pillars. That is definitely not the case in later 147s, where the transducers and tilt sensor are contained in the roof module along with CANbus module electronics, just to the rear of the interior mirror and lights. If your car has pillar transducers, perhaps that accounts for the box at the scuttle and extra LED - a CANbus interface for ultrasonics, perhaps. The alarm itself is a part of the BCU (body computer).

It's not uncommon for the wheelarch siren to fail, due to corrosion, and I suspect that is your main issue, and that you just haven't discovered the siren yet. This is what it looks like, at least on later/facelift 147's. As far as I know there is no integral battery - there's no real need on a siren that is difficult to get at and disconnect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rom...634847?hash=item3fc667db9f:g:UjgAAOSw3LxdGe3x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand it from eLearn, alarm component locations are identical on LHD and RHD, and as shown in the diagram in alarm2.pdf provided by jwq, above. Which shows the 147 siren toward the rear of the wheelarch, behind the liner. As far as I know, there is only one alarm LED, on the centre console. My 2008 car doesn't have an 'led that is situated middle bottom of the windscreen'.

That pdf mentions that the ultrasonic transducers are contained in the A-pillars. That is definitely not the case in later 147s, where the transducers and tilt sensor are contained in the roof module along with CANbus module electronics, just to the rear of the interior mirror and lights. If your car has pillar transducers, perhaps that accounts for the box at the scuttle and extra LED - a CANbus interface for ultrasonics, perhaps. The alarm itself is a part of the BCU (body computer).

It's not uncommon for the wheelarch siren to fail, due to corrosion, and I suspect that is your main issue, and that you just haven't discovered the siren yet. This is what it looks like, at least on later/facelift 147's. As far as I know there is no integral battery - there's no real need on a siren that is difficult to get at and disconnect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rom...634847?hash=item3fc667db9f:g:UjgAAOSw3LxdGe3x
Thanks once again and I can understand that you are confused as much as me.
The siren in my case does not exist behind the wheel arch and is situated in the middle of the scuttle
I do have ultrasonics on the pillars and the reason being that I also have a sunroof and where you say that there should be the ultrasonics is occupied by the controls of the sunroof.
I have also bought a brand new kit sold by alfa of which I replaced my existing siren but had no luck. ( the kit is identical to what I have on the car )
The extra LED at the bottom of the windscreen is also mentioned in the Car's UserGuide.
By the way, my car was manufactured in 2002. maybe that clears some of the confusion.

Thanks once again.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
I have also bought a brand new kit sold by alfa of which I replaced my existing siren but had no luck. ( the kit is identical to what I have on the car )
The extra LED at the bottom of the windscreen is also mentioned in the Car's UserGuide.
By the way, my car was manufactured in 2002. maybe that clears some of the confusion.

Thanks once again.

Steve
I don't know what kit you used, but if it's a 1-to-1 replacement for the original siren (which does contain a rechargeable battery) it would require coding to the body computer, as all communication between siren and bodycomputer is encrypted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts