Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. Every time i put the car into reverse it blows the 7.5 fuse which results in the reverse light not working and the lights on the climate control dials. I have changed the reverse bulb, the reverse light cluster and the reverse switch sensor on the gearbox! Any ideas????
Thanks Kevin

M

·
0 Posts
Got the same issue....

First places to check for a short are... In the rubber protection from body to bootlid as wires often break here. Then I would check the little wires that come out of loom and run to reverse sensor on gearbox.

If all that is ok a faulty reverse sensor can short to earth. So pop car in reverse gear (no need to be on) and check the pins with a volt meter for continuity to earth. If both pins on sensor show continuity to earth then sensor is at fault.

If it's none of the above then your looking for a short somewhere in the wires. In my 156 I am going to investigate if I can split the look anywhere so I can test at least which part of car short is one (even if just front to rear or between engine and car).

John

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm guessing you've already checked the rear light cluster wiring isn't being trapped and shorting against the bodywork when you replace the cluster ? This is the problem I found, the wiring not being easy to see when you stuff everything back together.

G

·
0 Posts
Are you replacing the fuse with the same ampage?

Try a larger fuse 10 or 12.5 maximum if it still blows then you have a body contact/ bad earth issue
If it works like it should with a slightly larger fuse in and doesn't blow, then you have a slight over current to that line usually a bad earth too.
I had an issue that was similar on a ford, it would constantly blow the fuse for the sidelights... Did the above and it worked fine after that, I never found the fault but a couple of weeks later I replaced the fuse with the correct value and it didn't blow????? It fixed itself!:rolleyes:
Try and figure that one out?

M

·
0 Posts
on 156 it's a 10 amp switched live...

Tried a 15 just to see but as soon as you put it in reverse pop...

So defo a short, just to find out where or if it's the sensor thats duff :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys i will try your suggestions, however i did up the fuse from a 7.5 to a 10 and 15 and they both blew straight away so it does sound like a short to earth. Will keep you updated. Thanks again

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks guys i will try your suggestions, however i did up the fuse from a 7.5 to a 10 and 15 and they both blew straight away so it does sound like a short to earth. Will keep you updated. Thanks again
Refrain from putting a higher value fuse than stated. Risk of causing damage to the body computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts