Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 02 147 2.0 ts with an intermittant misfire and Motor Contol Unit failure warning, the problem has developed since relacing the alternator 6 weeks ago. I have run an additive through to clear the injectors, but this has made little difference. Next stop is to check the plugs i guess?

I am considering purchasing a diag tool as my father now has my old GTV, and i feel it may be a good investment, and unfortunatey most garages in my area dont seem to know where to start on Alfa's.

As there appears to be many diag tools on the market, which one is the best best go for, where can i get it from, and how much should i be looking to spend??

Thanks

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Alfadiag is the one to go for, and a cable off Rarebear who is on here, one of the may users will be on soon to share more details, I too am considering getting it.

The misfire could well be a coil pack, typically No1 as oil gets slopped down the No1 spark plug hole and this kills the coil. Cheap enough S/H, just do not get coil No1 as it is a common failure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found coil packs new for about £30, just waiting for the weather to improve before i even attempt to take a look, don't really think playing with numb fingers would a good idea!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
one of these cables will do for communicating with the engine ECU http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-409-1...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item1c0f27451a (you'll need to get your soldering iron out if you want it to work with the airbag too) ... plus you'll need some diagnostic software, I personally use Alfadiag (about 50 euros???) alternatively a free tool called Fiat ECU scanner works quite well apparently, although I've never used it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, think i might try the fiat one first (seeing as its free) and see what it comes up with, can anyone let me know where i can obtain this??

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Thanks for that, think i might try the fiat one first (seeing as its free) and see what it comes up with, can anyone let me know where i can obtain this??
Check it works with your engine ECU (which it won't!).
At the moment it only covers some Diesel Alfa, not Petrol....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, that has saved me a lot of time, not to mention an afternoon of being in a bad mood when i couldnt get the thing to work!
Where is the best place to get the Alfadiag tool then?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I modify cables and test them on my own 156 Selespeed before shipping, and if not satisfied you get a full refund,

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyone in west cornwall who has a working diag tool that i could come and try, just make sure it all works with my ECU before i go ahead and buy one for myself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts