Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just wanted to get some opinion on where to take the beloved/hated 147 next week.

It's due for its 20 000km service...the engine has 20 000km on it, well almost and the car is now a couple hundred short of 70 000km

where oh where will my little 7 go oh where oh where will it gooooo.

Alfa and Omega?
Alfa Service centre?
ATC pino?

please give advice. My dad's 156 v6 went to Chris at Alfa and Omega and he did a good job...

I've been thinking about taking it to Chris, he quoted me R800 for the whole service!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
STAY AWAY from pino for a start.
Alfa service center is ok some guys I know swear by them
Alfa and omega also good,very knowledgable on electronic stuff
Entrust all my more mechanically orientated work to TONY at automate meadowdale,have sent a few friends there,and my dads 155 just had the engine rebuilt by him,and all the work has been impecable,also he is like a horsewisperer,but for alfas,he seems to understand them:lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW!

I just took my 147 2.0TS in to CMH Alfa in Durban for its 100000km service. A straight service, with a change of spark plugs and one extra lightbulb.... they charged me R4000.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R4000 OMG that's INSANE!!!

I'll give AUTOMATE a call and hear their prices

Sh33p...that's WAY TOO much I'm sure if you had asked arround you'd have got a BETTER price!!!

Some people opt to change the plugs and filter themselves that's why I'm starting to look for some tools and a complete toolbox..some of these things I can do myslef like the straight swops etc...

these people are charging way too much!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes - they definitely are charging way too much....

They wanted upwards of R17000 to sort out a crack in my sump & my exhaust manifold. That I'm getting done elsewhere now too..

I'm just not sure who to trust with my baby - the guy that's doing my exhaust & sump is my future brother-in-law, but he cant do everything on the car... and I don't have a garage or floor-space to do the service myself (live in a block of flats)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad news to hear man, I live in a town hose complex but more or less the same as you, they don't want us working on cars there.

Look, do a search on this forum for "Alfa Romeo Dealers in South Africa" about 3 threads will pop up somewhere on there they talk about GOOD ppl in Durbs or surrounding areas.

Hope that helps.

How old is your 147 2.0 to ahve a crack in the sump...also, there are TONS of 147's standing around in JHB send FROST a PM and He'll tell you about them, I'm sure you can get a good clean sump there for cheaps!!! Also don't fix the exhaust manifold, Viper Performance exhaust has ready made 147 2.0 branches for sale at R2000!!!

NEVER buy new parts from dealers, first try second hand broken down 147s standing around waiting to be stripped!!!

GOOD LUCK mate!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that dude!

The car's a 2003 - but I made the mistake of driving down a small length of dirt-road. With the 147 as low as it is, I must've clipped a rock or something on that centre bit of the track.... :(

I'm getting Wildcat branches put in... and the sump's been "re-engineered" where they weld it and run some pressure tests on it to make sure the joint is all good. That whole operation's costing about R4000 too - but this time I know that's a decent price for my stupidity.....

In future, if there's any dirt road, I'm taking the Tazz! Better than any 4x4!!!!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL that's true...

Ja the 147's engine is LOW!!! no matter how high it looks from the side...

Let me know how it goes with the wildcat branches!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Will do... phoning brother-in-law-to-be now to check the status. Hopefully I can pick it up at lunchtime.

- ok - I guess I wont be able to... apparently he just noticed another hairline crack in the sump this morning, so that's being sorted out now too...
at least I'll know that my undercarriage is 110% after all this :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
WOW!

I just took my 147 2.0TS in to CMH Alfa in Durban for its 100000km service. A straight service, with a change of spark plugs and one extra lightbulb.... they charged me R4000.
This sounds about right mate. Remember that the spark plugs in these cars only need to be replaced every 100K km's. They can actually go for much longer than that. The spark plugs they use are mighty expensive too and in addition you need eight of them not four like other cars. ( TwinSpark = two spark plugs ) Many other cars use these sort of sparkplugs, so we not the only ones paying this massive price.

I think these plugs are about R200 each, could even be more now. So just for parts you would have paid about R2200 - R2500. Then obviously the labour is like R450 an hour and thats most likely a 2 - 3 hour job and there you have it. Bang on R4000 :thumbs:

People think that Alfa Romeo are the only cars that are expensive to maintain, how "not true" this is. All cars are expensive to maintain and I can assure you, that any other make of car that has 110kw standard from a 2l motor, will be expensive to maintain. This I have no doubt about it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mason145 you are RIGHT On track there. I have to admit, when I heard 4k I was up in arms, but when I went and did my research...I found that it is so TRUE!!!

just called my machie this morning my 20 000km service is only oil and filter and check ups etc...coz the spark plugs will need to be changed at 100k I'm like at 70 000km now...

so it gives me ample time to save up for the spark plugs

Also have to agree that ALL new cars are BLOODY expensive to service...esp when out of waranty and service plan!!!

I just hope my "noise" is NOT the wheel bearing I did a stand still burn out the other day with the handbrake up for a couple of BMW mates and they were impressed so was i but I think the burnout caused a bald patch on the rear wheel which might be making the noise!!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Get plugs from AK components ,cheapest in the country,also do the job yourself,the stripping of the coil packs are tedious,but VERY easy to do,only thing you must watch out for is over torquing the plugs,aluminium head and all,other than that piece of cake ,for the price of the service ,rather buy a torque wrench for that money and do it yourself:cool:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting a toolset!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
hahaha - i'm an electronic engineer... i know my limitations and i wouldn't risk fscking my car up with a DIY job... because, well, i'll more than likely fsck it up!! :)

so i'll continue to fork out for dealer services... but general repairs (like my exhaust) i'll entrust to others

1 - 14 of 14 Posts