Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a common problem with my Alfa 147 Selespeed (apart from the usual Italian Electrics), it has been bunny hopping /Jerking in first gear when hot. I have come to the conclusion with the help of this forum and others that the Clutch Electro valve is at fault. This valve probably has to work the most out of all the electro valves connected to the main selespeed unit, and being made by Magneti Marelli, its not as well designed and built as say a Japanese alternative. I have done all the other things like readjusted everything possible using the Alfa Dag and stiil when it warms up in traffic it plays up. I have also noticed that when I lift the bonnet up after a long stint in traffic the valve which controls the clutch arm on the gearbox pulsates in and out which explains the bunny hopping. I will, if I have time document the work I do and take photos. I will also try and hook up the old electro valve and heat it up with a heat gun to see if it starts to play up? For information, I have purchased this clutch electro valve for just under £185, which is allot cheaper than a new Selespeed Actuator (£1300). The old part number quoted on many Alfa sites is 71719391 (Clutch electro valve). This has been replaced by part number 71753760. I am hoping that they have replaced the part number because the new clutch electro valve has been improved and modified so this problem doesnt happen again. Your comments welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say that the electro Valve is ordered via Fiat main dealer- part number 71753760. This is for the Fiat Stilo Abarth Selespeed - exact system used in the Alfa 147/156 selespeed 2000 -

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You could have swapped the clutch EV with one of the position ones to test the theory first...and it *might* just be worn a o-ring on it.

Good luck with it though. Keep us posted ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI iainfm

I suspected the possibility being a worn o-ring, but trying to get hold of these I am finding very difficult - would you know where I can get one? I know its a big cost the EV, but at least once it has been replaced I shouldn't have to worry about that problem again. Have you ever stripped Actuator ?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ok, the answer is indeed B&Q! :lol:

His advice is that it's the speed sensor though. This should be confirmed if you run a calibration routine that fails, and get an 0xC error back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I have purchased a set of 900 o rings for 15 quid from the internet - different sizes etc. I am planning to keep my alfa 147 selespeed for a number of years, so will in the spring take the actuator and pump and refurbish them totally. I have already done calibration routine but with no errors. I am not sure if the speed sensor does start to break down when it get hot - is this a possibility. I think a garages these days are not interested in repairing parts. The Actuator is quite a simple set up in my opinion - Valves and EV's and sensors. Eventually the o rings, Valves and sensors will start breaking down and will need replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch Electro Valve

Hello,

I am driving a 156, here in Sydney, Australia. I have the exact symptoms which you described with the bunny hopping when hot. However, no one seems to sell the clutch electro valve here in Oz.

So, could someone point me in the direction of a supplier please? I want to change this part.

Thanks

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I am having a common problem with my Alfa 147 Selespeed (apart from the usual GERMAN Electrics), it has been bunny hopping /Jerking in first gear when hot. I have come to the conclusion with the help of this forum and others that the Clutch Electro valve is at fault. This valve probably has to work the most out of all the electro valves connected to the main selespeed unit, and being made by Magneti Marelli, its not as well designed and built as say a Japanese alternative. I have done all the other things like readjusted everything possible using the Alfa Dag and stiil when it warms up in traffic it plays up. I have also noticed that when I lift the bonnet up after a long stint in traffic the valve which controls the clutch arm on the gearbox pulsates in and out which explains the bunny hopping. I will, if I have time document the work I do and take photos. I will also try and hook up the old electro valve and heat it up with a heat gun to see if it starts to play up? For information, I have purchased this clutch electro valve for just under £185, which is allot cheaper than a new Selespeed Actuator (£1300). The old part number quoted on many Alfa sites is 71719391 (Clutch electro valve). This has been replaced by part number 71753760. I am hoping that they have replaced the part number because the new clutch electro valve has been improved and modified so this problem doesnt happen again. Your comments welcome.
That's a clutch change not a dodgy solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bunny Hops

Thanks for the replies. I see that you correctly deonoted the true origins of the electrical systems.

Anyway, when the car warms up now, it will occasionally stall at low speeds, like going around a roundabout, instead of the bunny hop. Restart the car and its fine.

Anyway, you would still go with the clutch approach to address this in light of this new symptom ?

I had it at the mechanic, who replaced a pick up sensor and also bled down the selespeed and calibrated it. He wants to go the way of a whole new actuator unit. However, gear shifts have not been erradic at all. So I did not suspect the whole actuator unit. Just the clutch section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One more point, the 156 has 108,000 kms and it was built in 2000. So, would a clutch be badly worn with this many km's? How many km's did your Alfa's have when you replaced the clutch?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
108000 is a good distance to change clutch....it also depends on the use of the car...for example with excessive use of the "city" the clutch wears itself more..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem in my 01 156. After about 30 minutes of driving the car was jerky in first gear. You could feel the clutch pulsating. Sometimes the engine would rev to 3000 before clutch would start to grip.
I bought part 71753760 (EV0) from my local Alfa dealer. Was a little steep at $870AU. I replaced part on the weekend. Took me about 2 hours and and only limited tools (about $20 down the shop for a socket and screwdriver set). Bled clutch & did a calibration using Alfa Diag and then tested.

Final report: Completely fixed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts