Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon guys,

I've had a 147 1.9 JTDM since early Feb, brilliant little car.

The one issue I have had though is fuel economy. We are currently averaging around 30mpg and cannot get it above 31 and using roughly £30 a week in diesel.

The service history is stamped up and apparently had a service and the timing belt replaced at 70k (Now on 71.5k)

Any suggestions as to why a JTD would return such poor economy? - I realise that diesels need a good long run out, which I have been doing on a weekend where I can.

There's nothing to suggest anything is wrong, No warning lights and pulls perfectly.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
What temperature is it getting up to when you drive it?

Really common for poor economy to be down to the thermostat failing open, hence the engine never gets up to temp, and the ECU over-fuels to try and get it up to operating temp!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What temperature is it getting up to when you drive it?

Really common for poor economy to be down to the thermostat failing open, hence the engine never gets up to temp, and the ECU over-fuels to try and get it up to operating temp!
Thanks for your reply.

Temp gauge gets to bang on middle as it should

·
Registered
296 Posts
The mpg that you quote is well below what I get from my 147 jtdm, unless you are constantly stuck in slow moving traffic all on your journey's then you may need to get the car checked,

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I get 47mpg doing a long dull commute at 70 on a duel carriage way. Consumption worsens considerably if i do short journeys. 30mpg sound low but may be all you get for short journeys and stop start town driving in the lower gears.

I second the editors suggestion regarding the thermostat. The gauge in the car is not terribly accurate so taking a second reading via a code reader could confirm the engine temperature is correct.

Finally don't believe a word the info centre says. Work your mpg out. My display tells me i get +70mpg and have a range of over 1000 miles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The one issue I have had though is fuel economy. We are currently averaging around 30mpg and cannot get it above 31 and using roughly £30 a week in diesel.Thanks
i do confirm that my mpg is about the same as yours mate maybe little better as i do short journeys mostly in town,quite often the gauge wont even climb to 70 plus i always worm up the car for 5-7 mins in the morning(that's my stupid habit left from driving Russian cars :biglaugh: )
but on motorway i can't complain it is very economical until i kick the cruise control in tho :paranoid:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts