Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wondered if any of you Alfa experts can help with this issue. I recently bought a 2008 1.6TS with a broken timing belt. After much consideration I decided the most cost effective fix was to buy a second hand complete engine. I fitted this and put a new timing belt on and the car was running fine. I drove 15 miles in it with no faults. It then stood for about a week and when I started it it came up with the engine light on, motor control failure and ASR system failure.

When I read the codes there were many- mass or volume air flow circuit, throttle pedal position sensor, camshaft position sensor, fan 2 control circuit, speed sensor A and P1221 manufacturer specific.

Needless to say the car is in limp mode. I figured this must be a wiring issue with so many faults all of a sudden. I disconnected the battery and removed the sockets attached to the ECU over the throttle housing. In the left hand plug I found a tiny piece of rusty metal. It was magnetised so stuck to the screwdriver. This was around the centre of the plug. Now I am wondering whether this foreign body has shorted the ECU and caused all these faults. There is no visible sign of any issue and all fuses seem to be OK. What is noticeable is the cooling fan runs as soon as the ignition is switched on from cold. I believe this means the ECU is not seeing the temperature sensor?

Can anyone enlighten me whether there is any short circuit protection in the ECU and if not whether the damage is likely to be in the ECU in the engine bay or the body ECU under the dash? The battery now drains very quickly and with everything off it draws over 1 amp. I haven't investigated exactly what is causing the current drain yet.

I can still connect to the ECU OK. It seems amazing that this metal object only caused a problem after the car had been standing, or is it possible that there is actually something else wrong and the metal piece actually has nothing to do with it?

Has anyone else seen a similar problem and if so how to go about diagnosing it. I don't have any circuit diagrams or ECU pin out charts. It would be most helpful if someone could tell me where I could locate those.

I do have a spare engine ECU that came from the donor engine but I believe that wont work as it needs to be coded to the ECU under the dash and the key transponder?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had same sort of issue as you describe with lots of lights and loss of power.
I removed mass air flow gave it a clean and this solved it.
Dash lights if I recall went off after few journeys
Don't know if this helps you out but good luck .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had same sort of issue as you describe with lots of lights and loss of power.
I removed mass air flow gave it a clean and this solved it.
Dash lights if I recall went off after few journeys
Don't know if this helps you out but good luck .
Hi, thanks for that, I have found the biggest source of current drain is the 15A fuse F39. Something connected to it is drawing 0.8A. This could be the climate control or the radio I believe?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts