Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a retired Brit and came to Cape Town in Aug 2002 when I bought the new 147, colour Alfa Red. The clearcoat seems to be a big problem on this vintage. I had the roof resprayed about 2 years ago as bits were going creamy, now the bonnet is doing the same and the drivers mirror and rear passenger wing are begining to get peel. My bodyshop said it is because of water-based clearcoat being used by the factory at that time. Does anyone know about this and did the factory go back to normal paint techniques in later models??

As I am retired, I have only done 80k kms but have had the cambelts done twice already. I am now 5 months overdue for the 3rd set. She still feels virtually brand new, so how important is the 3 year bit as opposed to the mileage bit.

I had main dealer service until she was 6, now I use a small independent who used to race Alfas but I have only had 2 small services done by him. How hard is this cambelt story, should I get him to do it or use a main dealer.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The cam belt needs to be done based on age or mileage as an absolute - who ever you get to do it MUST have the correct equipment else that can kill the engine.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would not skimp on the cambelt if it was me, infact I'd be getting worried every hour past the 3 years! and as for the paint I belive its the paint oxadising under the clearcoat (thats what i was told once) and red is the worse, you should use a wax with UV protection :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts