Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi does anyone know of another alfa that has the same ignition set as a 146 1.6 16v t-s on a v plate. this is proving very hard to find. also does anyone know how you programme a new ignition and keys to my cars transponder. thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi,
Can you provide more information? For instance do you have a problem with the immobiliser and the CODE light on the dashboard at the moment? or is your ECU blown?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks for responding i have snapped both the master and the red key. the peice to the master is in the ignition, with that permanantly switched on i have to start the car with the back box. evreything works but i want to replace it as the car has no keys to start it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I guess we're running on 2 threads now but to answer the original question most of the 145/146 range ran on Bosch Motronic Injection except the 1.6 Boxers.
I think the Alfa CODE immobiliser technology remained the same throughout the lifetime of the car although the techniques for cleaning a coded ECU varied from one version to another.

This means you could get an ignition barrel and key from any Motronic Alfa 145/146 and then use your red key to get the system to learn the new key.

The key design changed at some stage so earlier cars don't have the remote central locking control on the key like yours does.

One favourite 'Bodge' is to take the pickup away from around the ignition barrel, cable tie an old key to it, and then tuck it away under the centre console. This defeats your immobiliser completely but means you don't have to do the learning process.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Just to clarify - the earlier (alloy topped) 145/146 twin-sparks used an ECU similar to the 155s, although in the 145/146 it was buried under the passenger floorboard. On the later 145/146, (plastic-topped) the ECU set-up changed to the same type as in the 156 - ECU mounted on top of the throttle-body.

So in the case of the earlier type - you're a bit stuck because there wasn't a 1.6 155 - at least in this country, whereas the later type (which your's probably is) can use an ECU set-up from a 1.6 156...I think - haven't actually tried it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right then thanks for the help. i think im just gonna try get a replica key cut. i have recieved a manual on how to teach the keys from a fine chap on this site. one more thing does anyone actually know anywhere i can get a replica alfa key cheaper than the £90 my local alfa dealer quoted me. plus £10 for some code card. i am quite confused with all this. why cant they just be like fords with plug and play ignitions. just for the record does anyone actually have a step by step guide for us dummies on all this technical stuff. thanks anyway

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think you can.
How did you get on with the ignition barrel? Did you get the old key out?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That's an excellent fix.
How hard is it to move the chip over? Is it glued in? Do you have any photos?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts