Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m new to the world of Alfa and have recently purchased a 98 Alfa 146 T-Spark. The problem I have is that the car doesn’t have a manual or guide with it and there’s a light that’s illuminated on the dash. It’s really annoying me not knowing what this symbol means so could one you guys please help me out?

The symbol looks like a key-shaped object with some lines coming out of it; it’s about half way across the dash – just to the left of the mileage display.

The car seems to be running fine, apart from vibrations which happen around about the 80 mark. Is there a manual published for the Alfa 146 anywhere as trusty old Haynes don’t seem to make one.

Thanks for any assistance, Cheers.

Owen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like the injection warning light.

Its meant to come on for a few seconds when you start the engine and then go out. If its staying on then I guess there's probably a fault in the injection system, I think its also tied in with the immobiliser somehow, not sure if that has any significance...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the fuel injection failure light the car wouldn't be running well, maybe the sensor needs replacing....

Everytime mine's been illuminated, my car wouldn't start.

You could ask your local Alfa dealer to supply you with a manual, don't know how much that'll be though

·
Registered
431 Posts
best thing would be to take it to a garage or alfa specalist, who has equipment that can diagnose the ECU, as from what i have seen it could be one of many sensors that trigger off the injection light.
It shouldnt cost to much for them to check it.

One thing you can check is that none of the connectors on the wiring in the engine bay are corroded as this is quite common..

·
Registered
431 Posts
ohhh and Welcome to the forums 5K4T3R

.....BTW the vibrations you are getting sound like you wheels need balancing
And no there is not really a manual of sorts, the only thing i have found is the parts system alfaRomeo use, as it shows all the compenents on your car. makes it easier putting things back together wink

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
As Hw says it could be a connector. check all teh under bonnet connects, disconnect them, check contacts & reconnect. Do 1 at a time. If you find one that is corroded, clean the contact with a little sand paper, Or 1 of your wife's/girlfriend/some bird you know, Emery boards cut in to small strips.
Disconnect the battery for 30 mins. This will reset the ECU.

Then start her up & see if the light comes on ? If it does get a dealer to check the car with the test equipement.

I've solved to engine lights with this method, hope it works for you

Toad

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys, its booked into the garage now as its still under their warrantee and I’ve told them about the sensor + the two bulbs in the front and rear lights + the wheel balancing, all things they should have looked at before I got it!! Still overall I’m very happy with it.

This may seem like a stupid question but how do you get full beam to stay on, every time I pull the lever toward me it just flashes then clicks back to the normal position.

Cheers and thanks again. Owen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts