Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, getting really fed up now, have replaced the MAF, Lambda (twice, now working nicely!), new clutch AND gearbox this week, and it's STILL not right!

Before getting the MAF (a Mageneti Marelli one, after the fleabay cr*p one started giving error codes) and the lambda (also replaced tice, now for an NTK part, which appears to work brilliantly (seems to fromthe trace graph on alfadiag and lack of error codes, anyway!) the car is really hesitant from idle, if you stap on the throttle it struggles for half a secnd, then takes off. Also when cold, it runs like a bag of bolts. The idle is fine, and it starts fine too. Also no lack of power at the top end (saw 144 on the clock the other day, off the road at my 'assocate's' private airfield, honest!).

Have got a new set of plugs to try, although the ones in there look like they were replaced when they should have been, no obvious wear to the electrodes, platinum sections appear fully intact etc. and some second hand coil packs and HT leads that I'm assured are OK. Any suggestions? Looking at the lambda graph, it looks like it goes slightly richer when stamping on the throttle before revving, although that's obviously difficult to read anything into - it does feel like it could be overfuelling at that point.

Also, when changing up at low speeds, the engine seems to over rev without me being on the pedal for a couple of seconds, and it occasionally maintains idle above the max 1500 it should do when coasting (particularly if I was accelerating hard previously)

I have reset th self learning parameters (twice!) and done about 500 miles since, no improvement.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry to hear your woe's

I had the over revving, hestant when cold etc. Moslty sorted when MAF was replaced. The only other thing that I found was that the timming was out when the belt was changed by the garage I bought the car from. They either didn't have the correct tools or didn't use a TDC tool or both.

Good Luck
JDG

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
could it not be the electric stepmotor that controls the throttle valve ?
I had a 146ti for 6 years and it let me down only once , and it was this little bugger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tps/idle stepper was replaced recently, so not that, and the belts were done at the same time by jamie porter, so not that either. strongly suspect its the MAF. have contacted the firm I got the MAF from and they're arranging a replacement, so hopefully that will fix the problem!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll almost certainly be the MAF. I'd put money on it!

Do a search on this forum for MAF problems.

They don't seem to like anything but Bosch ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I bit the bulllet yesterday and bought a Bosch MAF from Andrew Page in Salfod, £101.75inc VAT, and its like a new car! Pretty much faultless now, so worth every penny. I think I can say, at least for my case, that Magneti Marelli MAFs are not a good idea! Interestingly, although MM list them as being an equivalent part to the bosch part number, they only list as being for the 1.6 and 1.8 enginges, so posssibly they would be OK on the smaller engines.

Am going to try and get my money back for the MM one... will see what happens there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts