Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations regarding axle stand points for my 145QV. After jacking up at the suitable site under the skirts with my trolley jack there doesn't seem to be enough space to place the stands. When you're placing you 145 on stands where to you site them for wheel/brake work? Can anyone provide photos (front and rear) for where I'd be safe to put the stands? I'm always a little cautious when it comes to supporting cars as I've never really fancied a ton of metal without wheels coming crashing down on me! :D

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've only ever worked under the front of the car, so can't help about the back...yet

To support the front I place the stands on the lower arms, on the flat area where they pivot, inboard end. Apart from that....there really isn't anywhere. Dont just use the hydraulic jack to support it, they can break....suddenly.
eek!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I'm surprised how coherent my original mail was as I was pretty half-cut last night when I wrote it! wink

Thanks ajcarter for actually understanding what I was trying to say and posting a good reply! :) I'm trying to picture the point that you're talking about and it appears sensible; I'll have to give it a try.

I've got some brake work to do so that'll be perfect. I'll have to think about the rear, maybe there's a suitable load bearing place I've not spotted.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Robin,
When I was doing the rear drums on my 145, I used the sissor jack supplied with the car. There are precious few locations in the rear, other than the fuel tank! Don't use the bottom of the trailing arms either!

G

·
naughty laughing
jeez mcguinn how do you expect to work on the car when you dont know how to jack it up have a look in the owners manual for the jacking points. p.s. If you dont have an owners manual its probably stolen.

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McGuinn:
<strong>Robin,
When I was doing the rear drums on my 145, I used the sissor jack supplied with the car. There are precious few locations in the rear, other than the fuel tank! Don't use the bottom of the trailing arms either!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldnt work on any car with just the scissor jack! Also used the bottom of the trailing arm with no problems, after all the car sits on that :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Owners Manual... what's that? Since Haynes didn't produce a manual, I improvised.
Anyway, as I was not working under the car, I didn't feel any need to improve the support. When working under the front, I always use a combo of an axle stand and a hydraulic jack, ensuring that the stand takes the weight.
So where are the rear axle stand points?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
some time ago I jacked my 146 up with a hydraulic jack from Halfrauds and when I pushed the stand under it, the hydraulic jack collapsed,
I had my left hand middle finger hanging on some threads !! my neighbour raced my to the hospital (in a Toyota !!!! meeuuhh :( ) and they managed to get the pieces together ! finger is OK now except for a nasty scar and some stiffness, comes in handy when you give people the finger :D
I never ever trust a jack anymore !!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rarebear:
<strong>some time ago I jacked my 146 up with a hydraulic jack from Halfrauds and when I pushed the stand under it, the hydraulic jack collapsed,
I had my left hand middle finger hanging on some threads !! my neighbour raced my to the hospital (in a Toyota !!!! meeuuhh :( ) and they managed to get the pieces together ! finger is OK now except for a nasty scar and some stiffness, comes in handy when you give people the finger :D
I never ever trust a jack anymore !!!!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds nasty! As far as I'm concerned you can't be too careful with large lumps of heavy metal suspended on little bits of metal! I went out and bought a proper hydraulic trolley jack and stands and I definetly want to make sure I can use them safely before I go under it! naughty

Did you have mental scarring from the ride in the Toyota? It sounds like that was almost as traumatic as nearly losing your finger! wink

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
whenever I see a Toyota (and there are many in Holland) I feel my finger hurt again ! frown

1 - 11 of 11 Posts