Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that my old 145 thermostat needs replacing, due to cool running. Could any member please advise me of how to replace the thermostat? I will try to attach a picture of the parts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
If it is a boxer engine its quite straight-forward as it is the same as on my 33 (and the 146 I had recently). Drain coolant first by undoing lower radiator hose or by undoing the drain plugs under the cylinder block and then release hose clips, its a good precaution to have some spares just in case. The thermostat is held against the block with a hex. bolt or an allen bolt, this might be a little stiff. Note: it might be rather awkward to get at because of the alternator etc, in the way but see what you can do without moving them out of the way. The new stat is then positioned and all the connections made. Replace coolant and start the engine with the header tank cap off. You should see the coolant circulating once the engine is up to temperature and the system should self-bleed any air present. Replace cap.
You should be able to get spare hose-clips in a Norauto or similar.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here's a photo of a Boxer with the Manifold, Alternator and Power Steering pump out of the way.
As you can see there are a number of tubes to undo.

One useful trick is to use a plumber's wrench on the hoses which will be stuck onto the thermostat by now. Twisting the hoses with the wrench tends to break the bond so you can then pull them off quite easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Armoore. I will try again to post a picture. Can you buy a thermostat by itself, or is this one complete sealed unit? I cannot see from the top how to access the thermostat.
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Yep, that's the one! It comes as a complete sealed unit and it does not cost much usually. I wouldn't try to use that type of clip again so get a set of clips as well. Bodger's idea is a good one, remember to clean the inside of the hoses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cool running Thermostat in Alfa 145

Hi I have just spent £54 at Willsons garage in Epsom for their mechanic to examine my water ssytem cooling pipes etc and I was told that there is nothing wrong. I have been travelling backfrom Shrewsbury on M40 at a steady 80 mph and the water temperature showed about 65 degrees centigrade. This must surely be wrong. I also was driving back from Exeter in mild summer weather andalso saw the temperature vary up and down. Has anyone come back to you with an answer ? Is there a mechanical control setting for the thermostat?

PS I read my anual and the tyre pressures should be 35 lbs per square inch or 2.5 atmosheres for full load.I did this and at 80 mph it was steady as a rock and I diid 34 miles per gallow. I went 206 miles in three and half hours

please reply to me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Almost certainly the thermostat. They don't last forever. No easy way to test them unless you want to remove the whole thing and submerse it in a pan of boilng water with a thermometer to test the opening and closing temperatures.

The needle on the gauge in the dash should pretty much be glued to the 9 o'clock position once the car is fully up to temperature no matter what the outside temperature is or how fast you drive (the 9 o'clock position reads 80 degrees on a pre-facelift car and 90 degrees on a facelift car).

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes that's my idea as well. Had an identical situation I replaced the thermostat today on our 145 and it took about 1.5 hrs. I did not drain the complete cooling system but drained the filling reservoir and caught the fluid when the tube between radiator and thermostat loosened. Temperatur gauge is now very nicely at the 9 o' clock position. I replaced the clips by ones that can be tightened by screw driver or socket wrench

1 - 9 of 9 Posts