Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had to do a second topic at this lounge so... wink

I thought about show this beauty: it's a Spider 105 :cool: and you can find information about it at: 105 Factory.

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
What's the difference between that car and a Spyder?? I mean, besides the obvious difference in size?? :D

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>What's the difference between that car and a Spyder?? I mean, besides the obvious difference in size?? :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Name? :confused:

• <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> :)
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> wink
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> :D
<font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>What's the difference between that car and a Spyder?? I mean, besides the obvious difference in size?? :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spyder??? Who can give Ant his coat?

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
I failed to read the word "Spyder"... :rolleyes: :D

Who has my coat?!?!? rant

·
Administrator
46,722 Posts
It's not just missing the word Ant, it's that naughty 'y' in your version of spyder. I can't quite remember at the moment, but I think that's how ze Germanz spell it for their cars.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Hans,

Since you're becoming our resident spider expert, I feel like I should let you field this one. wink

Of course, if you don't want to, I'll take a stab at it. :)

Still I dislike posting in this lounge. There's just too much non-classic riff-raff hanging about here. All those cell phones and computers and microwave ovens and power windows and air conditioners, and onboard computers and remote controlled locks just crowd up the place and create a cool, unfriendly techno feel to the lounge.

I think we need a decorator to come in here, and lay down a bit of class on the joint -- perhaps put up some beautiful varnished wood panelling, and accent it with hand-knotted wool rugs in deep jewel tones. Some large wing chairs and a couple of leather sofas would be nice. And some British hunting prints should hang over the billiards table in the corner. Oh, and of course, we need a doorman to check the credentials of anybody who wants to post in here. Naturally I won't even get a full membership, since my spider doesn't quite qualify to be in here, but I will be granted an associate membership. Like all clubs, the classic lounge needs a bit of younger blood to keep it going, but it must be exactly the right type of younger blood. wink laughing
--Toronto

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I started this topic thinking about you, Toronto. I guess I failed at some point :(

I don't think I need to qualify to post here whatever I think it's appropriated but... I thought the 105 was something nice to start this lounge. :rolleyes:

Besides, the age is in the eyes and mind of who belive in it. Age doesn't mater if you have the passion! wink

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Hugo,

Sorry. I didn't mean to throw a wet blanket over the thread. :( My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek as I typed my post. Of course anybody can post anything anywhere assuming they respect the rules of the board.

I do find it funny that nobody has actually started a real thread in this topic (where do I buy a mercury switch, or muscle building exercises for drivers without power steering, etc.) even though Ian says he created the lounge due to popular request.

My offer to explain the difference between a 105 and a Spider wink :D still stands although I do think Hans would do a much better and more thorough job.
--Toronto

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Toronto,

I dont think I've ever seen your Spider.

Would you be able to post up a Picture ?

PS Thanks for the message. :D wink

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toronto Spider:
<strong>My offer to explain the difference between a 105 and a Spider wink :D still stands although I do think Hans would do a much better and more thorough job.
--Toronto</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't give me too much credit Toronto, since I have more knowledge about modern Alfa Romeos, and I just know less about the classic ones. Alfa started to make the 105/115 series in the sixties and stopped producing them in 1993 (series 4 spider). Don't ask me why some are called the 105 and others are called the 115. I do know that they represent the first three digits in the chassis number, but I haven't found any logic yet why and when the 105 became the 115. For instance the 105 spider became a 115 spider in 1972 if the engine was a 1600. If the spider was equipped with the two liter the 105 became a 115 in 1975. The US spiders became a 115 in 1972, just like the 1600. The RHD versions of the spider however still had the digits 105 in the chassis number until Alfa stopped making RHD spider in 1979 (after that LHD spiders were converted to RHD in the UK and not made by Alfa). If anyone can tell me the logic behind the chassis numbers, please do. On the other hand the words 'logic' and 'alfa' are often a contradictio in terminis

However the 105/115 series covered as far as I know five models:
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Giulia Sprint GT, later known as GT Junior, GTV, GTC and GTA -- 1963-1977
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spider (osso di sepia, coda tronca, aerodinamica and series 4) -- 1966-1993
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Junior Zagato -- 1969-1975
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Montreal -- 1970-1977

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong>However the 105/115 series covered as far as I know five models:
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
<font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:confused:
:p

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Hey, the Giulia saloon vanished :confused:

• <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Giulia saloon -- 1962-1978

G

·
0 Posts
re: 105 v 115 - i might be wrong, but i thought that signified a slight wheelbase extension, or differentiated the fact that the shape of the rear wheel arch changed??

g

·
Administrator
46,722 Posts
I think the 115 had ten extra.

HTH wink

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GTV6:
<strong>re: 105 v 115 - i might be wrong, but i thought that signified a slight wheelbase extension, or differentiated the fact that the shape of the rear wheel arch changed??

g</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The wheelbase is the same on both series.

BTW G, what did you do in Antwerp last weekend? Wimster and I saw a puppy with English licenseplate last Saturday

G

·
0 Posts
it wasn't me Sele, as i explained to wim elsewhere. I am, however, reassured that a little pups made it all the way to your neck of the woods! I hope you were all friendly to your new tourist friend! :)

g

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Hans,

See I knew you'd be the best person to offer the explanation. :)

As far as I've been able to figure out the 105 was the boat tail and 115.x was used for all the Kamm tail and up spiders -- which I why I figured I could only claim associate membership in this lounge. wink :D

I knew that the 105 designation was used for a number of non-spider vehicles as well, and I could have guessed at two or three of them, but I doubt I could have come up with all five. As I've often said, my Alfa knowledge is limited to one Alfa and one Alfa alone. :D

Reuven,
You're welcomed for the message. I see you didn't need it. It's much better to have help from friends than to rely on any online service.

I've finally got some decent digitized shots of my car, but I haven't got around to posting them anywhere. :rolleyes: Until that happens, however there are a few pictures kicking around.

Ant posted one rainy day shot of my car in his piccies from Canada thread.

Ages ago I slapped up a few crappy quality shots on Yahoo, but since that site doesn't permit remote linking, Hans hosted one of my old pictures on his site.

Basically it's just another red Kamm tail spider, with a few subtle cosmetic changes, but it's mine and I love it :D
--Toronto

1 - 20 of 28 Posts