Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I should share this story so everybody else can feel the immense superiority of owning an Alfa instead of a BMW...

One of the guys I work with (Or rather Gals...) used to own a rather nice Alfa 147, I think it was an 03. Anyways, she has since sold the Alfa to buy a much newer, and much more expensive BMW 3something (I didn't pay too much attention after the word BMW was mentioned) So far this vehicle has been in her possession for about 3 or 4 weeks.
In these 3 or 4 weeks she has so far had the following issues:
Petrol tanks has formed a massive leak
Remote central locking has died. When this first happened only the back doors would open with the key, and because of this they have had to climb over the seats to drive. Since then only the drivers door can be opened with a key hidden inside the key
There has been another issue with it, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

In the 3 years of owning the Alfa there has been precisely 0 issues.

I know that sometimes you're just unlucky when you buy a second hand car, but I still love to say 'Don't you wish you had stuck with the Alfa?'

·
Registered
44 Posts
lol

My Alfa hasn't caused me any problems so far (apart from the unexpected cracked sump which I am trying to source) but it was also a lot cheaper than my BMW.

Personally I think they complement eachother quite nicely. On the BMW forum they keep making fun of me for having bought an Alfa, warning me of expensive bills and unreliability etc, but my Alfa cost less to buy and insure than my BMW cost just to insure!!

R

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I should share this story so everybody else can feel the immense superiority of owning an Alfa instead of a BMW...
I appreciate the sentiment: Alfas are good, but if anyone from a BMW forum were to read the first sentence out of context they would probably just think we are all sad and insecure.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I appreciate the sentiment: Alfas are good, but if anyone from a BMW forum were to read the first sentence out of context they would probably just think we are all sad and insecure.
I agree, but it's just kicking against the ribbing that Alfa owners get from the press and the owners of other makes all the time, most of it ill-informed. Strangely this is also a cultural thing; someone gets a bad BMW they think it must be a lemon, whereas someone gets a bad Alfa they just assume they are all like that. There are a fair few members on here who take that viewpoint (I've just read a post from someone with that very opinion). Shame really.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Aye, it's amazing the people who come on here to tell us all how crap our cars must be, because theirs broke down. Yet when I tell them that their car must be really reliable because mine hasn't broken down, that means I'm being unreasonable. :confused: :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that you mention it, this is probably not the best wording. It was more a topic for acknowledging that not all is as the media suggest.

It is however still a sort of 'in-joke' with us Alfa owners that our great cars will in fact, explode.
And that is one of the reasons I love Alfas so much though. The fact that we expect them to die and break down, and yet we still really REALLY want one.
The pleasure of driving one far exceeds the threat of a breakdown, just something that you don't get from most other cars.
I love driving my 147, and I bought it not quite expecting it to break down, but having the thought in the back of my mind that it is supposedly a really unreliable car.

Still, no real issues so far...

What was that explosion in the car park....?

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I suppose I may be just lucky but I've owned a reasonable number of Alfa Romeos and not one has ever let me down. For instance my 916 Spider has always started first time, and in the seven years I've owned her nothing has ever gone wrong.

Strangely, over the past two months I have seen several breakdowns, all of them German marques. Clearly then our German friends are not as invincible as, er, German washing machines?

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Good old bus, the '47. :thumbs:

If it wasn't for that T/S cam-belt tensioner (where is it made, incidentally?) then Alfa's would never go wrong. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i have had so much **** taken out of me for owning an un reliable alfa for over a year at work but last week one of the lads bought an 02 freelander 1.8 looks like the heat will be off me soon that head gasket cant last 2 weeks surely :lol:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Well at least Alfa Owners have a personality and some individualism when driving their Bella's! :thumbs: How many BMW/Audi or Merc drivers can say that lol!

I'd rather drive a beautiful Italian Alfa than a German soap box any day! ;)

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I just love this kinda thread! I have to confess, I loved the 156 from the day it was launched ( my love of Alfas goes back a lot further than that though). In the early days I just could not afford one, then in 2001 I was in a position to buy a new or nearly new car, I was looking at a Alfa 156 2.4jtd in Rubine red with natural leather and a SAAB 2.2tid 5 door. After much 'advice', I sadly followed my head (as advised) and not my heart. The SAAB turned out to be the worst car for reliability that I have EVER owned!! 2 x ECU, turbo, complete exhaust inc cat, window regulator, water leaks in the foot well, gearbox rebuild, phew, there was others but I cant remember them all. In fact the car was so bad SAAB extended the warranty at their expense to 80K!!

When I finally got around to buying my 159, again I got a lot of 'advice', but this time when the conversation started up, "Ohhh! don't buy an Alfa, you'll always be breaking down, hope you got good AA cover". (or similar advice) I would answer, "really?!!! And what problems did you have with your Alfa then?", "Oh errm, well I've never actually owned one". "Ah" I said, "Just as I thought".

So now 3K and 6 weeks into ownership I just say to people, "I'm really disappointed with my Alfa, after what people told me I've had the car 'X' weeks now and I haven't broken down yet!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts