Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

So here is the list of work I’ve done since buying my GT three years ago. Currently on 93,000 miles.

Cam belt & water pump (at 60,000 miles when purchased)
Clutch replaced (full job no corners cut)
Slave cylinder replaced
Turbo Intake Pipe replaced
Both door handles (driver’s door snapped again yesterday, my advice do not replace hinge replace whole handle set )
Oil cooler and both pipes replaced
Front upper suspension arms replaced

That’s the full set, my question is…. What’s next? Is there anything I can pre-empt to save money? Spent £800 on repairs last year and up to that already this year. Don’t get me wrong great car, never let me down but like all of us I do have a tipping point and I think I can see mine on the horizon. The handle snapping for the second time yesterday was a particular low point.

All contributions gratefully received.

Howard

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I would be having a look at the chassis too. Lots under there can perish, like rear arm bushes, and like the lads have mentioned she needs under seal, as this was not properly done from when they left Italy !! If your clutch pedal pin has not been replaced do it too. They get brittle and break. Also the induction system gets oily, so i would have the pipes removed and cleaned. I am a bit ocd so excuse me. ;-)

Damien.

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Bottom arms, front anti roll bar bushes, rear engine mount (diff housing to subframe), check the top steady bushes for splits. Radiator? If you're lucky your car got the aluminium one from the factory but if it got a copper one, it'll most likely be due for replacement.

I've noticed quite a few GTs with worn rear top mounts as well, so check these.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hi Dan, If i remember, this was the case with mine?

My steering has got heavier over the last few months. No loss of fluid though. I'll change the power steering fluid this weekend, hopefully its not the pump etc. Did you notice it was heavy? ...you have the benefit of driving plenty of them.

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Hi Dan, If i remember, this was the case with mine?

My steering has got heavier over the last few months. No loss of fluid though. I'll change the power steering fluid this weekend, hopefully its not the pump etc. Did you notice it was heavy? ...you have the benefit of driving plenty of them.
Not unusually heavy to be honest. Although I do notice that some are heavier than others, your's didn't feel out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Cheers!

That motor arrived at my house today, despite multiple requests to send it to you!
I'll put it in the post tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Possibly the other turbo hose, should all be fine to next major milestone around 130000 miles,
Why delete the EGR, ? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bottom arms, front anti roll bar bushes, rear engine mount (diff housing to subframe), check the top steady bushes for splits. Radiator? If you're lucky your car got the aluminium one from the factory but if it got a copper one, it'll most likely be due for replacement.

One of the rear McPherson struts collapsed on my previous 04 GT at around 110K, the top joint had just rusted away - was pretty dangerous actually as the whole thing collapsed on the rear tyre (which was mashed to bits and needed replacing!). So I'd make sure thats all checked each service for corrosion and wear.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Why delete the EGR, ? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time until it is.. and/or it'll contribute to breaking something else...

Recircing diesel fart back into the manifold will coat everything (sensors, swirl flaps, manifold runners) in a coating of carbon/soot, which when mixed with the oil-vapour from the PCV system sets rock hard... This can choke the engine as it bulds up and blocks the airflow, can contribute to the swirl-flaps failing prematurely (although they will go on their own anyway), and will stuff up the MAP sensor causing rough/lumpy running...

It can also cause a sootier exhaust, since there's less oxygen for combustion - hence your turbo VNT system is more likely to get gunked up over time...

Also hurts fuel economy, because of the incomplete combustion..

So EGR goes in the bin, and you either fix a problem you don't know you had, or you prevent a problem you didn't want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same dilemma, after three years with only minor problems - sudden MCSF on - engine off oops!

26k after pump & belt replacement - well I had a receipt for it from the dealer I purchsed from - was it done? Who knows, so anyway eight weeks later two of which spent struggling with #1 injector removal she is fixed for very little money by sourcing parts from all over Europe, including one injector (they're not cheap are they) plus a headlamp motor that came out in sympathy with the water pump.

However while working on her I evaluated upcoming expenses which are, if I keep her - clutch, possible DMF, front subframe (corrosion), full suspension rebuild - its all done 79k now & possibly oil cooler.

Much as I love the car, I am a looong way from anyone who knows Alfas so have to do everything myself & I am getting on now so sadly & realisticly I may have to trade in - not an easy decision for a car I have really enjoyed driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts