Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having an issue with my GT and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue or could help out?
I've got almost all the warning lights illuminated on the dash and the car now won't start. I'm thinking it could be an issue with the alternator but would be grateful for any advice anyone could give in relation to this. I've put a lot of work into the car and I'm keen to get it back on the road.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The alternator failing shouldnt prevent it from starting, unless the battery has run dry.

What happens when you turn the key to start? Any clicks/noises? does the engine crank?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
Do you know how old the battery is?
Check the battery terminals to make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know how old the battery is?
Check the battery terminals to make sure they are tight.
The battery has been in the car since I bought roughly a year ago, I'm waiting on a new one being delivered. Could this be the reason for the warning lights? The terminals are good.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
A flat battery will cause the various electronic control units (ECU'S) to get confused and display faults.

·
Premium Member
2006 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS
16 Posts
When you replace the battery with a new one it should be ok, unless the alternator or brushes inside need replacing. You will know if it's the alternator if a display says battery charge low (or similar) after you have driven it a few miles. My GT did this when I bought it, I replaced both battery and alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A flat battery will cause the various electronic control units (ECU'S) to get confused and display faults.
Thanks for the advice, I've replaced the battery and the car now starts, still have the various warning lights displaying on the dash, will these need to be cleared or will they clear themselves? I've done a bit of research on the internet and that seems to be the two options

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
Depends on what the warning lights are? They will go after a number of engine restarts if they are not serious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lights that are on are the ABS, motor control, VDC, traction control and the brake lights. The brake lights are working and the brakes and traction control are working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts