Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 156 selespeed Sportwagon year 2000 model, and I've had a major problem with the box (i suppose it IS the problem) for a while now. In fact the car is almost unusable as I have virtually no power, as if it's stuck in second gear maybe...

Symptoms: It's very slow, no power i.e I have to wait for a huge gap in traffic just to pull out of my road. Forget going up a hill, i'd be better off walking... The engine is not blown, or damaged; the car just slowly developed this problem. Recentley i had to change the battery and hoped the mechanic would be able to sort it. He was clueless, but the battery disconnection improved things breifly, although the problem came back again after a few miles.

Does anyway have a similar problem? I thought it might be calbration needing to be reset, but I can't find a mechanic that knows how to do it in the Cambridge area. Forget Alfa dealers; the nearest is Peterbourough and they charge through the roof...

Help!! It's a bit of a nightmare, with no fix on the horizon at the momemt.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that ( from your description ) its a gearbox problem.

Is the car changing gears when driving or is it stuck in one gear and wont respond to change requests ?
Do the revs rise with no change in vehicle speed ?

If none of those apply I'd try disconnecting the MAF and see if it improves performance - note it probably wont idle and the eml will come on but see if it restores your power when driving

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help.

No warning lights are on. What does MAF mean!!? I know is some sort sensor...but that's it and i don't want to start fiddling with it (even if i could find it) as that will end in disaster for sure!

Looks like job for the Alfa Workshop in Royston then. Cheers for the tip.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
No warning lights are on. What does MAF mean!!? I know is some sort sensor...but that's it and i don't want to start fiddling with it (even if i could find it) as that will end in disaster for sure!
MAF sensor is the air flow sensor.
It is located in the air intake (beside the battery).
Unplug the electrical connector and take it for a drive.

This assumes that you problem is that the engine won't pull under load and will only accelerate if you use a very light throttle.

With it unplugged does it pull on full throttle above 5000rpm?

L

·
0 Posts
did AO ever consider starting a 'Selespeed' sub-forum ? the number of threads in the past few weeks on this system is incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts