Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you turn the alarm off on the 159? When I unlocked my car this morning it started going off and I couldn't figure out how to stop it. It was sounding, then stopping momentarily, then starting again.

I locked and unlocked the car, got in and started the car, opened the doors. Nothing worked. In the end I just drove away with it on and it stopped after a couple of minutes.

The hazard lights don't flash when it's going off either. A couple of weeks ago I was going mad at some idiot for letting their car alarm go off in the middle of the night - I now realise it was me.

Any ideas? I think I'll be hounded from my street by the neighbours soon.

N

·
0 Posts
Should disarm with the door remote.

There's a thread over in the 147/156 lounge that says
you can do it manually with the key by unlocking and holding
the key turned in the unlock position of the door for 2-3 seconds.

Could be a battery issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will remember that. It's difficult to stay composed when it's blaring away at 7.30am. My lunchbox is missing and I think I left it on the road when I was panicking and trying to turn the alarm off.

N

·
0 Posts
In the end I was dead-locking the Brera with the mechanical key.
It still all flashes like the alarm is armed, but it isn't.

And I ordered the 159 without the alarm for the same reason of
the nuisance it can be. (Alarms are a 400 Eur optional extra here.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I've now started deadlocking my 159 with the key every evening. There's a particularly brutal Impreza down the road and it sets my car off every morning.

Last night, at about 2.30am, the alarm started going off. This is despite the fact that I deactivated it earlier in the evening. The lights weren't flashing at all and, crucially, I couldn't stop it.

Do you reckon this is a battery issue? It really is excruciatingly embarrassing. I'm trying to work out how I can placate the neighbours now, without having to knock on doors (I'm not very good at that sort of thing).

N

·
0 Posts
If you locked it with the key and the alarm still goes off
then there is something wrong and it probably needs a trip to the dealer.

The alarm shouldn't be active if you locked it with the mechanical key. :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought, but that's definitely what happened. I'm booked in at the dealer next Monday, so I've added it to the list. I just hope it doesn't happen again before then. It's a horrible feeling when it is completely uncontrollable, especially when you've only just woken up and your wife is helpfully yelling at you to turn it off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem last night all through the night...awfull. The odd thing is the alarm seems to activate itself even if you dont lock the car. Did you sort your problem out OK? Was it a dealer issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the end the dealer picked something up and fixed it. Complete nightmare though.

I've had a new 159 since then and haven't experienced any alarm issues whatsoever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts