Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHen i got my car i just got a couple of keys, a brown one and a red one which i use normally. Its not like my old alfa 156 key where it had a black button for alarm/central locking etc, just a plain red key to use in the locks.

However when i insured it my insurance informed ME that the car had a cat 1 alarm fitted as standard.

Having a poke around i can see some alarm sensors on the corners of the dash and it made me wonder if it should have the key with the alarm button on it, and if it was lost or something. Thinking more about it i cant see locking with the key setting the alarm?

ALso theres an LED to the left of the speedo, where the fuel cap button is and it just constantly flashes all the time. I guessed it was something to do with the immobiliser but obviously if the light means its immobilised then its not doing much because my red key stiill starts the car as normal.

Am a bit confused can someone shed any light?

cheers

·
Registered
469 Posts
UK-spec GTVs and Spiders were imported without the Alfa-standard alarm system (with alarm functions integrated on the key) - instead, they were retrofitted with Meta alarm systems at the dockside.

Sounds dumb, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

If the LED is flashing, that means the alarm is active. There's no immobilser as standard, so ignition isn't affected. Due to alarm misfires, apparently most owners disconnected the siren. Your previous owner may have disconnected the hazard light connection too.

You can get the alarm unit reprogrammed and get new alarm/central locking fobs - from memory Abacus Alarms still service Meta units. Google them, and see what you find.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Your car should have the META M99 or M99T2 system fitted, these were standard to UK cars. The fob is separate to the key. Did you have a RED META CODE card when you bought the car, if so you will be able to get a new fob, if not then unfortunately you will have to remove the alarm ecu and have it reprogrammed. The ALARM and IMMOBILIZER are 2 separate systems, not to be confused!! If any problems you need to speak to the following guys - Abacus Car Alarms, Also I have included the operating instruction to the META M99 alarm, please disregards the references to the M36T2 immobilizer, the car does not have this system installed. The flashing LED is not for the immobilizer, but for the alarm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill have to have a dig thorough the paperwork again i dont recall seeing the card.

seems i only have a master key and the service and valet key - explains why it doesnt unlock the glovebox.

So is it possible to get a replacement drivers key and get the alarm working again? Also if my LED is flashing does that mean the alarm is set/on or what, cos it still flashes when you have started and driven off too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Like I said, the LED flashing means the alarm is activated - if the siren was connected, it would be going off.

You can get a replacement driver's key (as you have the master key) but that's nothing to do with the alarm.

Like Stixy said, if you don't have the alarm code card then the only way to get a working alarm fob is to remove the alarm control unit and send it off to Abacus. For a fee, they'll reprogram it and return it with working fobs.

Follow up Stixy's Abacus link, and if it doesn't make sense to you just give the guys there a call.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Funnily enough you are in exactly the same sitaution I was in dazgtv. I also had no fob for my car, with exactly the same symptoms of a flashing LED (& disconnected siren). Hopefully you have the code card so it's cheaper for you. I ended up having to send the unit to abacus in the end. All working fine now though apart from when it's windy, those sensors are terrible sensitive to movement on the hood.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd assumed that as my Spider doesn't have any visible internal sensors that they just weren't fitted on the Spider.

Whereabouts are they? Maybe a previous "helpful" owner had removed them if they were a frequent pain ...

Also, other than just locking with the key, is there a way to use the fob to remote lock the car without setting the alarm?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd assumed that as my Spider doesn't have any visible internal sensors that they just weren't fitted on the Spider.

Whereabouts are they? Maybe a previous "helpful" owner had removed them if they were a frequent pain ...

Also, other than just locking with the key, is there a way to use the fob to remote lock the car without setting the alarm?
Mine has two sensors, one either side of the dash. I assume they are original fit.

Try partial arming your system. I use it when it's a windy day. :) You need to hold the fob key down for longer.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As I just posted this a crazy downpour of hail and a loud bang of thunder - my car alarm is going crazy!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bloody hell, on my way up to the Highlands for the weekend - hope it's not that kind of weather all weekend!

R

·
0 Posts
If you are getting really fed up, removing the meta alarm is very, very simple. Let us know if you need any instructions.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Your thread sounds almost identical to one i did a few weeks back.I spoke to abacus,and they said for £99 they would re-programe the Meta 99T alarm and give me 2 new fobs.But,and its a big but,why were the originals thrown away?I didnt want to spend £99,just to find out theres problems elsewhere.So,i bought myself a new alarm.Wired it up,and hello,wont work.The doors would lock,then unlock themself when using the remote.Couldnt work it out,so gave Falcon Alarms a call and they said they'd do me a alarm with all the usual trimmings & boot pop on the remote for £189.They came round and had the same problem as me.Turns out the door motor had burnt out,which shorted out the central locking control PCB inside the dashboard and melted it.So for another £40 they wired in a new door motor and a new central locking control center.This is why my cars previous owner ditched the fobs,why did yours? Do you spend £99 and then start working on getting the siren working,and risk being in the same boat?Think hard before parting with those pennys my friend.
P.S. I still have the other alarm i bought if your interested in trying yourself :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
My thoughts exactly, GTVLee.

The car is probably minus fobs because the alarm drove the previous owner nuts and he/ she binned them. The Meta alarms are a very poor product in terms of reliability in my opinion.

Now, if you are wanting to stick the Meta route, the following link will take you Ray Smith, who supply the kit to the trade - they might flog you one if you tap them up nicely. £99 for a reprogram or probably not a whole lot more for a complete new Meta kit? I knows where my money would be.

Meta M99T2 - : Car Audio HiFi Multimedia Navigation Security

However I still prefer a good old immobiliser (the Alfa one is good in my books). Been promising myself a new alarm for mine, but its not on the priority list... a locked garage and a ferocious furry creature will do for now!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My thoughts exactly, GTVLee.

The car is probably minus fobs because the alarm drove the previous owner nuts and he/ she binned them. The Meta alarms are a very poor product in terms of reliability in my opinion.

Now, if you are wanting to stick the Meta route, the following link will take you Ray Smith, who supply the kit to the trade - they might flog you one if you tap them up nicely. £99 for a reprogram or probably not a whole lot more for a complete new Meta kit? I knows where my money would be.

Meta M99T2 - : Car Audio HiFi Multimedia Navigation Security

However I still prefer a good old immobiliser (the Alfa one is good in my books). Been promising myself a new alarm for mine, but its not on the priority list... a locked garage and a ferocious furry creature will do for now!
Worth giving these a ring mate,very good price and service

in-car-stuff.com - Car Alarms & Security, Car Audio, In Car DVD, In Car TV, Speakers, Subwoofers, UK and Ireland delivery
Ask for Chris williams :thumbs:

F

·
0 Posts
If you are getting really fed up, removing the meta alarm is very, very simple. Let us know if you need any instructions.
Hey I would be interesting in ripping the one out of my GTV 1999 it had the separate Key Fob M100 i think

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i have an autowatch 160 RLi in my GTV and i can't fault it. not too expensive to buy i don't think, and a cat 1 to boot. i think i would try for a new alarm like others have said, rather than try to resurrect a potentially duff one.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
it was in the car when i bought it. i had to dig around to find out what it was. not sure if it was fitted from new? the car was an irish import so i don't know. another point to add is that there is somone else on here with an autowatch alarm (and others do it too i believe) that you can specify to have another button to remote open the boot. i wanted to do this but mine doesn't support it :cry: my idea would have been to fit uprated rams on the boot so it would remote 'pop' and then open by itself :thumbs: just another possibility to consider. if you remove the passenger side carpet panel, you might be able to see under the head unit and pull out the 'brain' of the alarm if it is there? then you will at least know what it is that you have and be able to get cracking with a replacement. you may even be able to get an alarm place to check what is still in place and get it working if you know what it is? best of luck mate :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts