Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right - technical minds at the ready chaps, but I'm guessing this one might not be too heavy!

The standard alarm on my 1.8 16v is having a bit of a mare at the moment... the remote works, and operates the locking every time I use it... but the alarm sometimes arms / disarms and sometimes doesn't. Any ideas?

V

·
0 Posts
Had some probs with my alarm , a while ago I suspected the engine compartement sensor for this.

Put some contact spray on it never heard of it since then.

I also think , that after "false" alarm you must put the key in for a minute or so to dissable the trigger that caused the alarm , only a guess...it works so...

·
Banned
477 Posts
Rich I've had this problem since I bought mine and not solved it. Tried re programming the sensor etc but no joy. Vortex where abouts is the sensor in the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you can do the alarm test by turning the key in the ignition till the dash lights come on then before 5 secs are up press the bonnet switch 5 or 7 times cant remember which, then the alarm will do some self diagnostics . you can then go around and open every door boot and there will be a bleep when you open and close them but test your bonnet switch as your doing it , i dont know if this test works on older models but mines a 96 and works but still my alarm does not :mad:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not got around to doing the test yet, but lo and behold - it's started working again. It did this a couple ow weeks back and righted itself. So I guess I'm looking for a loose connection somewhere? Or shall I just sit and wait for the impending final failure of my alarm?

There was one thing - the first time it happened in this particular show of bad temperement, I locked the car with the remote but the alarm didn't arm - so as I unlocked it, the alarm armed. So I reckon the locking tells the alarm to arm rather than the alarm telling the doors to lock... so is there a connection from the central locking control module to the alarm? Could this be where the problem lies?? Answers or ideas on a postcard (or this forum) please...

J

·
0 Posts
must be sommit to do with the keyfob or the activation switch in the glovebox?

reason why i think the fob possible is form yer last statment... you can use the key in the doors to lock and unlock with it activating the alarm... so thinking of the door lock activiting the alarm wouldn't work really.
But using the key fob.. that's when the alarm activates... so maybe the battery in the keyfob is on it's way out??
The switch in the glove box may be not the best.. and a knock somehow dodgy internal connection on the switch made the alarm not work (key fob will work the doors ok and not arm the car) then hit a bump and switched it back to arm?
Turning the arm/disarm switch on and off would have the same effect as what you had no??

mad ideas that's all

j

J

·
0 Posts
this might be a crazy idea but have you been power washing your engine bay and got water into the alarm box........btw i have no idea where the alarm box is fitted its just a guess. :confused: eek! :p

·
Registered
564 Posts
The alarm box is fitted under the P/S/F wheel arch behind the arch liner, but there is a large connector block behind the P/S headlight(about 21 wires all black) and they corrode badly. I had to cut mine out and reconnect the wires to get the alarm to work.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts