Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its flashing all the time.. :eek:

I have never been able to get to the bottom of this problem (been like it since I got the car)..

The LED near dashboard keeps flashing even when the ignition is on. Surely it's only meant to be on when the car is locked? It does not affect driving or sound alarm or anything but I fear the alarm system is actually not working at all. Ok I guess the car must be immobilised through the CODE system but it just seems that the META alarm can't possibly working if it's always flashing like it's set, even when driving.. I also only got the master key when I got the car, no key fobs or anything. Judging by the type of master key given (square maroon colour one) it would not have remote locking but I really have no idea if there is meant to be a fob or not. Would this explain it? If anyone can offer help would appreciate..I don't really want to have to fork out and take it to get sorted or fork out a load to get a new alarm fitted. I'm not sure how much this would set me back but I imagine a fair whack...

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Confused on similar points on my 97 P1 too. Looks like at one time it had an aftermarket alarm fitted as there are two IR sensors, one each side of the dash. The red LED sits in the dash and does nothing and I'm sure that it doesn't, and never has, had remote locking.

I'm not concerned, the Immobiliser works so that's OK. It's like my mottled green and black carpets, dunno if they are supposed to be green or black, I seem to have a compromise ! Guess I'll never know.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has sensors at either side of the dash too... but I thought they would be part of a factory fitted system. ??

If only there was some way of checking what type of system it is. I guess there must be a box behind the console somewhere, maybe if I can find it that will give some clues...

·
16,370 Posts
Mine has sensors at either side of the dash too... but I thought they would be part of a factory fitted system. ??

If only there was some way of checking what type of system it is. I guess there must be a box behind the console somewhere, maybe if I can find it that will give some clues...
:confused: Even more confused now. The sensors on mine do not look like factory fit, the wires just trail along near the bottom of the windscreen and then disappear into the console at the centre, really does not look like anything even Alfa would fit.

From what I've read on here I think the alarm unit is fitted under the plastic cover under the bonnet on the drivers side and there is something about a square key to enable/disable the alarm but I haven't looked, I don't have a square key or any info so I just cant be bothered, I give up easily these days ! :p

You seem determined to get yours sorted and I hope you'll let us know what you find out and do. For me, I'm going to leave things as they are, unless I can fix it all for a Fiver !!:rolleyes:

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
As far as I know, no alarms were factory fitted. The meta alarms were fitted by the UK dealers once the cars arrived over here.

Standard should be a red LED on the left side of dash, above the petrol cap button.

Some, but not all, have a flap on the driver's side wing with the bonnet up, and there's a keyhole there that should disable the alarm. However, mine doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it's one that got fitted by a UK dealer in that case, which is what I thought would be the case as I know in the UK there are differences to what systems are installed and what they do on the continent.

Taking this into consideration If it was a META system surely it would be linked to the ignition, but I have noticed several connectors behind the console not connected. Wouldn't surprise me if a previous owner got fed up and just disconnected the thing but left the power on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it's not under the bonnet the control unit is behind the stereo (behind the passenger airbag switch panel). There were dummy flashing LED's available from accessory shops at one time, might be one of those. If not (and it's a fault) , you need to contact Car Alarms

·
16,370 Posts
I think that Jimmer has nailed it. Mine does have the LED in the right place and it looks right. I suspect that in my case the alarm was troublesome and was removed, Not noticed any trailing wires so it looks like the alarm was at any rate professionally uninstalled.

I have thought about fitting a flasher to the LED and with a hidden switch to turn it on or off but getting to the LED looks like it may be troublesome so haven't even bothered doing this.

If yours is contstantly flashing I would think about either disconnecting completely or put a switch somewhere where you can have it on or off, maybe be better than nothing.

As it is I have left the sensors in place and put an authentic sign on the window saying that an alarm is fitted, think that'll do it for me.

Wonder how may GTV's are out there with either no or faulty alarms on board ?

R

·
0 Posts
Well mine for one. I've got the Meta code card but no fobs. The led flashes several times after start up for no apparent reason, but thats it. I did enquire about getting it working (Abacus) but as the insurance was not bothered, I'm not either.

·
16,370 Posts
Well mine for one. I've got the Meta code card but no fobs. The led flashes several times after start up for no apparent reason, but thats it. I did enquire about getting it working (Abacus) but as the insurance was not bothered, I'm not either.
I think that are probably more with non working alarms than ones with.

I'm like you, not bothered, at least it's one less thing to worry about going wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts