Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really need to sort this out, everytime i connect the battery back up, the hazards continue to flash, its draining the battery

so ive had a thought, will it work if i take the fuse out of the alarm? but then again, where is the alarm?

i took the side carpet panel off from the passenger side with loads of wires just falling out, but i cant actually see where the alarm is

cheers

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I think it's usual for the alarm to go off when you reconnect the battery, does it not reset on the remote? Is it just the hazards flashing or is it the audio as well?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres no cound at all, and from what the previous owner has told me, there never has been, but the car did start even with the hazards flashing, although not now due to the flat battery

is the fuse for the alarm on the main fuse board under the steering column? if so, which one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I've got a similar problem; the previous owner lost the remote so disconnected the sensor. However, I am now left with an alarm light that flashes 24/7 and hazards that come on and go off whenever they feel like it and I have no say in the matter. Oh, and I replaced the battery 3 months ago and it has drained twice since then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its doing me head in now, ive charged the battery, and pulled out possible fuses with no such luck, if anything, taking fuses out increases the noise the fuse box makes...

im not going to be able to get the car on the road till this is sorted as it will look off me driving down the road with the hazards flashing

ive looked for the alarm box with no avail, i cant see where the loom goes

is there anybody in the west midlands that can come out to sort it out, ie disconnecting the alarm from the whole car?

cheers ta very mooch!

·
Registered
333 Posts
This problem has been mentioned in the forums on several occaisions in the last year or so.My understanding is the hazards are operated by the metar alarm box situated under the radio on top of the "tunnel" is is as simple as disconnecting the fiat metar alarm unit removing it then hitting it with a large club hammer.The alarm unit says fiat metar alarm and is about the size of twoi packets of cigarettes.My hazards used to go off randomly as i was driving other motorists used to make rude gestures !!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
theres no cound at all, and from what the previous owner has told me, there never has been, but the car did start even with the hazards flashing, although not now due to the flat battery

is the fuse for the alarm on the main fuse board under the steering column? if so, which one?
The alarm can be deactivated. The car came with a special key to do this on the unit located under the off side wing engine cover. I guess the key hasn't been handed to you. The alarm is just that, an alarm. You can start and drive the car with the alarm going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
aHA! I just started having this problem with my new girl (bought two weeks ago, and had an agonising week seeing her on the drive but undrivable until the insurance arrived so I could get road tax!)

After being bitten by not realising the radio doesn't turn itself off and flattening the battery, she's now started intermittantly winking the hazards - only if I'm driving or have the doors open though (so hopefully she'll still have power and start when I get back to her tonight)

The alarm dongles I have both seem to be knackered, but I did see a little box with a keyhole on the nearside under the bonnet so thanks, I'll give this a go (who actually pays attention to alarms anyway..)

Thanks a bundle.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Most UK cars came with the META alarm system, which the ecu can be located in the centre tunnel beneath the radio. The siren unit is located under the black plastic cowling on the offside front wing. You can tell if you have a META system if you have a seperate fob to the key. The siren is the most problematic part of the system. Try unplugging the siren once located.

Also on import cars, they will most probably have the Alfa Romeo system fitted, if this is fitted then this should be disabled by inserting a round type key in the siren/ecu unit, which is located again under the cowling on the offside. If any problems you need to speak to the guys at Abacus -abacuscaralarms.co.uk/

R

·
0 Posts
i took the side carpet panel off from the passenger side with loads of wires just falling out, but i cant actually see where the alarm is
cheers
Unless you have a different set up to normal, you would have been very close. Most of those wires would plug into the alarm unit. Try setting the alarm off and listening carefully in this area - you should hear a ticking as the alarm energises the hazards on and off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you have a different set up to normal, you would have been very close. Most of those wires would plug into the alarm unit. Try setting the alarm off and listening carefully in this area - you should hear a ticking as the alarm energises the hazards on and off.
close. those wires are not wired to anything under the HU, they literally fell out when i took the carpet off, so i can only assume that the item has already been removed if i cant find it?

this still leaves me wondering though what is causing the hazards to no stop flashing, the alarm(siren) makes no noise at all, althuogh the central locking still works on the fiat alarm fob

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Maybe have a company fit a new alarm system?Will eliminate that possibility.Im having a company fit me a Falcon Predator XL3 at my house next saturday for £189.99 :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tbh mate, its money i havnt really got at the moment, i just need the current problem solving until i can invest in a full microscan alarm, as i swear by these!

the unit isnt actually under the HU, and i cant find were the wires off the siren go, any more ideas lads?

cheers ta very mooch!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ITS FIXED!

the alarm was actually behind the dash clocks, not under the HU, its been ripped out so all is now sorted!

so thanks for the advice all

anto the next issue, 3 broken switches and no way to open the fuel cap!...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I seem to remember someone talking about a cord you pull to release the cap, and yesterday I noticed in the boot a red cord in that area. go look, and give it a tug..

·
Registered
146 Posts
ITS FIXED!

the alarm was actually behind the dash clocks, not under the HU, its been ripped out so all is now sorted!
Thats handy to know, put up with my indicators flashing everytime the battery went flat for the past 5 years cos I couldn't find the box behind the radio. Dash is being stripped next weekend for painting so will have a look there then....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, found it, somebody at alfa knew these cars were going to break!

so not only can you open the tailgate with the key or a hidden button in the glovebox, but nows theres the switch or hidden cord to open the fuel cap, lol

at least i can fill up now, cheers

anybody know what the 2nd hidden switch is in the glovebox?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts