Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buon Giorno Alfisti - Has anybody had any experience with AL-KO Shock Absorbers for 156? I want to fit a full set of Koni FSD but they cost $1,400 AUD (arrghh). A set of AL-KO rears is $370AUD and may do the job.
BTW can buy Konis from UK EB Spares for around $750AUD. Are EB reliable?
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Dunno about the shocks, but EB spares are good.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Try here:
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Romeo 156 Tuning & Styling

You will have to email them to get a shipping charge but its less far than the UK and there is less tax on German goods than UK ones so the prices are competitive.

Oh, and FSD's are expensive for what they are... which is largely an expensive gimmick. Get some decent mono-tube gas shocks for max performance or bi tube oil shocks for less noise/more comfort. I'm running GTA Bilstein B8's with GTA Eibach pro springs and it's uncompromising. KW's are also well recommended (they did the touring car supension too) or koni yellow Bilstein B6's. Bilstein are still top of the game if you ask me.

Nick

·
Registered
745 Posts
Try here:
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Romeo 156 Tuning & Styling

You will have to email them to get a shipping charge but its less far than the UK and there is less tax on German goods than UK ones so the prices are competitive.

Oh, and FSD's are expensive for what they are... which is largely an expensive gimmick. Get some decent mono-tube gas shocks for max performance or bi tube oil shocks for less noise/more comfort. I'm running GTA Bilstein B8's with GTA Eibach pro springs and it's uncompromising. KW's are also well recommended (they did the touring car supension too) or koni yellow Bilstein B6's. Bilstein are still top of the game if you ask me.

Nick
I don't know about that, I do know that the slightly used FSDs (and Eibach springs) that I bought off Pud on here improved the ride and handling significantly over the GT's OEM setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mille gracie mi amici - as I am now of "a certain age" my priorities are to retain my back teeth so I think I'll go forward with the Koni FSDs. Handling perfection takes a back seat to comfort these days (sigh). I appreciate all your advice.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know about that, I do know that the slightly used FSDs (and Eibach springs) that I bought off Pud on here improved the ride and handling significantly over the GT's OEM setup.
I know about it, I read extensively about suspension before I spent a small fortune on a bespoke set up. The most comfortable set up would be bi-tube oil shocks and an uprated Anti Roll Bar instead of lower springs. The OEM dampers are too soft at low speed and too hard at high speed causing a crashy ride. FSD dampers are a very expensive solution considering that you can buy shocks and springs for less money. Plus Koni don't replace them under warranty and they are prone to failure/leaks:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/343199-autolusso-no-longer-recommend-koni-fsds.html
and here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/348725-suspension-opinions-and-verdict-on-fsds.html
and here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/283438-koni-fsd-problem-regas.html

My advice is to spend half as much on oil shocks which will be more comfortable and last twice as long.

Nick

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, having read those threads I can see views and experiences on all sides but not a consensus that supports your claims. In fact Autolusso's official response was: "When a product works it is great and the FSD's worked great but to recommend a product you need the back up from the manufacture when things don't go the plan." So more a problem with after-sales support than the quality of the product.

One comment from Pud caught my eye: "All the FSDs I had on my own cars were fine, but they were all 2008 to 2010 built." This is when I bought my setup from him and they have certainly work for me. In fact my indie mechanic (Mike from A&M Alfas) describes mine as "the best handling and riding GT I've driven" - and he's driven a lot!

I do agree with you about the crashy ride with OEM setup, though, which is why I upgraded in the first place. I suppose only time will tell how long they last, but that's the same with everything mechanical. Mine are over three years old and going strong.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
For what its worth I would have Koni FSDs again if I needed new shocks & springs. I still think they are right up there at the top for a daily driver with Eibach Pro springs. The KWs on my 2.4 JTD are good too but they are a lot firmer, if low speed compliance is high on your priority list I think they'd be too stiff for you. When you are 100% committed the KWs are amazing. The Eibach shocks and springs (now discontinued) on my 156 GTA are great as well and really suit the car (which is a GT as opposed to a sports car / track car). The Eibach shocks and springs have a little bit of jitteriness at low speeds much like the KWs do - this is what the FSDs are so good at ironing out.

I really want to try KW's shock & spring package, thats one of the only major suspension packages that I can't remember ever trying. I also need to do some miles on a car with the Bilstein B12 kit fitted - even though we've fitted loads all I've not had much chance to drive a car with them fitted except for one 6 mile run.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm not knocking FSD's, my point was only that half as much money would solve the crashy ride. But you might be right, Tom from Oz might be partial to taking his Alfa by the scruff of her neck and making her squeal with rapture so FSD's might be worthwhile after all.

Next time you're passing you're welcome to drop by for a ride in mine Dan, and if my balls are big enough that day I might even let you take the helm. But I'm running 2.4 springs and GTA B8's so it's not your regular B12 kit. Sometimes I wish I had gone more GT rather than balls out B road stormer but I fall in love every time I drive it or look at it and I'm young enough to shrug it off. The Billies are noisy gas shock affairs but they react quicker than a scalded cat and are surprisingly comfortable above 40mph...

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts