Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. As I'm still waiting (for my 147..) I've been browsing the web for upgrades. And I came across this: http://www.nickread.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/viper.htm
Is it just me, or is that insane and improbable (an 18BHP increase on a 120, from just the induction kit that is)?

Has anyone upgraded exhaust or airfilters here and actually measured the difference on a rolling road or something like that? Would installing a Supersprint (yes, I've looked at Remus too, but I don't quite like the idea of putting a Germanic exhaust in my Italian car...) exhaust for example ruin the lovely Alfa sound of a 1.6TS, or would it just 'amplify' it? Happy for all replies on this...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hmm, big pinch of salt. The big giveaway is the fact that they say they get Identical results on 2 different rolling roads. How the car is tied down on the rolling road makes a big difference to the figures you get. You are lucky to get similar results from the same road if you take the car out and bring it back.
I got an extra 40lbsft of torque purely because the car had loosened a little and the car shifted fractionally.
Also, it sounds like they are making a big deal over the 'ram' effect, something that would not work very well when you are on the rolling road.
Sounds like a load of ****** to me.

Steve

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I think they mention that they use a fan on the rolling road (presumably to simulate speed), but it doesn't say how much they simulated... (could be a giant fan for all we know?)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best known brand of Exhaust in Austrlia is Remus. I have one on order which should arrive in a week or so.

I will keep you informed of the progress.

Stef

·
Registered
649 Posts
You usually find that they use several fans, large volume/slow speed to cool the engine, and a smaller high speed fan directed at the air intake. Given that the power/torque readings will be taken in 4th gear, and the car speedo will probably be showing 110-120 mph there is no way that these fans can correctly simulate airflow.
The Kit probably does improve things, but as for 18bhp!!

Steve

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I also thought that sounded like a lot... Maybe I can expect around 10 bhp total for airfilter and exhaust replacement on a 147 1.6, if I'm lucky?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts