Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of you may have followed my aircon thread --
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/127254-apologies-in-advance-air-conditioning-thread.html

In a nutshell - bought a JTD with no aircon, hoping it was just needing regas. Went through a shed load of reading on this side and getting good info from members - cheers all.

After fault finding, it was narrowed down to knackered compressor - specifically the compressor clutch not working.

Longish hunt ensued for a suitable compressor - as THEY ARE NOT THE SAME as those on petrol engines. The hunt was made worse by the fact that I could not read the part number on the broken one - so I did it by photo comparison.

I'll post the label of the replacement working one.

I eventually tracked one down ( not easy ) from a very good breaker - £120 - a bit more then I'd like to pay, but I could have waited a looong time for the right compressor to come at a good price.

I then managed to find a good independent garage with alfa AND aircon capabilities - they charged £120 for the compressor swap and test/regassing, which I thought was OK.

So £240 to get it all chilly again:D :D

Just for your info -
Alfa wanted £500+vat for a new compressor, and £309 +vat for a reconditioned one with 12 month warrentee

These guys wanted £300 for a new one Car Air Conditioning Diagnosis Repairs Recharging in Kent

Hope this helps others.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Excellent News!!! great to hear that it's all sort relatively easily and relatively cheaply!!! :thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts