Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2009 Mito and have had problems with the aircon for some time (being that it doesn't work much). During the winter the thermostat housing was leaking and I had constant cold air when it was -3 out (not great as you can imagine) and had that replaced. But before then, the aircon did not work.

If I drive along with the Aircon on and set to cold, it will sometimes work if it is cooler than about 19 degrees out (as I guess there is cold air n the system then?) however most the time I hear a whirring noise coming from the engine, guessing its the compressor and it whirrs for about 20 seconds then stops for a minute or so then starts again - during this time, all I get is warm air!

Also, today whilst driving around a round-a-bout, the cherry to top the cake, my power steering decided to stop working. I dont know if this could be related to the aircon, I highly doubt it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I would say not related. Unless you alternator belt is slipping or worn then it might.

Get air con re-gassed and checked.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hopefully it's not the electric steering motor because it's an expensive fix. A guy with a 500 got it done under the warranty but only just. (Click here)

Sounds like it's the alternator belt as already mentioned by GT_MitoOwner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
problems with the power steering is a known fault with Mitos and i would press for it to be covered by Alfa even if you are out of warrenty. I managed to do this with my 09 Alfa.
Good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is power steering really necessary? Have'nt driven anything really newish before the Mito....Imps old cavaliers and triumph toledo for example.....always feel with the mito not much feedback anyway...feels well light?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Is power steering really necessary? Have'nt driven anything really newish before the Mito....Imps old cavaliers and triumph toledo for example.....always feel with the mito not much feedback anyway...feels well light?
You should try driving a modern car with no power steering you will know all about it then....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts