Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Have the QV Giulietta. I have a problem that the aircon almost seems to just blow and turn off the compressor, then comes back cold for a bit, then goes to just feeling like its blowing air. THis is when its on auto at 21 degrees. I never had issues in the past but for the last month i start just sweating it out as it blows luke warm air for a few minutes.

Any idea what this could be or what i could look at before taking it in ?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
It could most probably be:
a gas shortage (Can't get the system to cool efficiently)
Faulty temperature sensor in the cabin (won't maintain correct temperature)
faulty ventilation system flaps (Perform A/C proxy alignment)

The compressor magnetic clutch does cycle on auto, but this would be when the aircon has cooled the cabin sufficiently. If it is cycling before the cabin is cool it may then be because it is receiving faulty feedback from the temp sensors inside, or the flaps may be rerouting the air without it cooling the cabin, or the compressor is overheating (low gas pressure can cause this).

Is your fan speed adequate? Is the amount of air blowing out, sufficient? If not, suspect the cabin pollen filter of being blocked.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Shouldn't one be able to scan for aircon errors?
Yes and no.

The aircon turns off and gives an indication when it detects a fault. If no indication then the unit doesn't know it is faulty. For example if a temperature sensor drifts (Not dead short or open circuit), the aircon may not know that the sensor is faulty so it keeps working based on the sensor return. It actually thinks the temperature is as reported by the sensor. It is even possible for the sensor to go out of range (-44 to +52 degrees is the normal sensor range) and the system will still operate and try to compensate.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Just out of interest's sake - can one override the automatic system in the Guilietta and just have it blow cold air?

In the 156 that is my option every now and again, but I suppose with the latest Alfas' better air conditioning systems you might risk frostbite then.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Yes you can by disengaging the auto function or turning the a/c to minimum.

By the way, a 156 a/c is just as cold as a Giulietta's a/c. I never had issues with my 156 not reaching temperature.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmmm - all the 156es I have been in, including my own, have had pretty poor air conditioning ability. Yes, it would get the temperature down to where it should be, but it takes a while getting there.
Maybe I should get mine checked, just in case.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response guys.

Even if i put it on say 16 degrees and take it off auto it does the same, so that should take out reporting the wrong temperature. Who would be able to check if its gassed enough (Speedy those type of places?)

If i must ill take it in to Alfa, but if i don't have to that would be a win!

Strangely this started happening at about 30k km on the clock. They changed the cambelt then and it fixed the aircon. Til now when it started again at 79k km.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sorry a bit of a thread jacking. Waziboy, was that your GQV at liquid dips?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
on the 156 its possible to put the climate control in manual. there is a sequence to doing it, laid out in the owners manual.

its something like fan at 0, temp fully cold then fully hot, then fan speed to full then 0 then full yadda yadda yadda similar kind of thing to when you over ride the immobiliser by entering the key code with the throttle.

Then its just standard aircon, compressor on when you push the button.

This is a work around for thermocouple failure.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
on the 156 its possible to put the climate control in manual. there is a sequence to doing it, laid out in the owners manual.

its something like fan at 0, temp fully cold then fully hot, then fan speed to full then 0 then full yadda yadda yadda similar kind of thing to when you over ride the immobiliser by entering the key code with the throttle.

Then its just standard aircon, compressor on when you push the button.

This is a work around for thermocouple failure.

Well, it's easy enough to do it just by turning the temperature knob to the coldest setting so it displays "LOW" on the dial and then just adjusting the fan speed by using the middle knob.
Same for if you just want the fan. Temp to "LOW" and then just press the aircon button to turn the compressor off.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Well, it's easy enough to do it just by turning the temperature knob to the coldest setting so it displays "LOW" on the dial and then just adjusting the fan speed by using the middle knob.
Same for if you just want the fan. Temp to "LOW" and then just press the aircon button to turn the compressor off.
yes but if the car thinks its below freezing outside then it wont let the AC engage. this is a common problem when the wiring between the outdoor temp sensor under the wing mirror and the computer gets buggered.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hmmm - all the 156es I have been in, including my own, have had pretty poor air conditioning ability. Yes, it would get the temperature down to where it should be, but it takes a while getting there.
Maybe I should get mine checked, just in case.

Pollen filter. Replace it. I worked in Vredendal which is pretty much the hottest place in the country with summer temperatures of 45 to 52 degrees and never had an issue with my 156. I used to put it on auto all the time. In 6 years it never needed even a regass.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Thanks for the response guys.

Even if i put it on say 16 degrees and take it off auto it does the same, so that should take out reporting the wrong temperature. Who would be able to check if its gassed enough (Speedy those type of places?)

If i must ill take it in to Alfa, but if i don't have to that would be a win!

Strangely this started happening at about 30k km on the clock. They changed the cambelt then and it fixed the aircon. Til now when it started again at 79k km.
Any place that does aircon regassing will be able to check for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ill give it a go this weekend! If that doesn't work guess its off to Alfa
Did you have any luck with the filter? I'm currently having the same issues tough the system is gassed and testen. Can't put my finger on the issue and before sending it in the shop who will sure just change the compressor ($$$$) I want to check anything else possible...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys

Have the QV Giulietta. I have a problem that the aircon almost seems to just blow and turn off the compressor, then comes back cold for a bit, then goes to just feeling like its blowing air. THis is when its on auto at 21 degrees. I never had issues in the past but for the last month i start just sweating it out as it blows luke warm air for a few minutes.

Any idea what this could be or what i could look at before taking it in ?
Hi/Slmz
I am having the exact same problem with my Giulietta 2014 QV. Did you manage to find a solution to the problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts