Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss how to cure a mouldy smell from my aircon / ventilation system. I've used Forte treatment twice and the pollen filter was changed at the last service. I've also done the 10minutes full heat trick a few times.

There is evidence of dye on the outside of the compressor unit. Could a slight leak be the cause of the smell? The only other thing I can think of is that the dealer changed out a leaking windscreen washer bottle before I bought the car. Could residue from a leak still present in the engine bay be responsible?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Do you keep the A/C on. I find I get this smell only when the Dealer has set it to off during a service. It's my warning system to get it back on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you keep the A/C on. I find I get this smell only when the Dealer has set it to off during a service. It's my warning system to get it back on.
I have the A/C on about 50% of the time, especially when it's wet, which is about 50% of the time up here, funnily enough!

Try with a new pollen filter + AC cleaning stuff. I solved the problem with that.
The pollen filter was changed in July and I've used Forte A/C cleaner twice since then with no positive result.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have the A/C on about 50% of the time, especially when it's wet, which is about 50% of the time up here, funnily enough!
That's your problem. You just need to leave it on. It serves no purpose to turn it off since the system is supposed to be 'automatic climate control'. It does loads of whizzy things to maintain the right atmosphere. Turning it off just confuses it and it probably just holds the air in its chambers going mouldy. It will also prolong its life because the seals on the compressor won't dry out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's your problem. You just need to leave it on. It serves no purpose to turn it off since the system is supposed to be 'automatic climate control'. It does loads of whizzy things to maintain the right atmosphere. Turning it off just confuses it and it probably just holds the air in its chambers going mouldy. It will also prolong its life because the seals on the compressor won't dry out.
You can remove the pollen filter and use forte treatment it has worked for me a few times

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was your pollen filter REALLY changed? Did you see the old one?
I got a reputable indie to do the service and they showed me the old filter with a comment that they didn't think it had ever been changed before. I might change it out this weekend anyway, weather permitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts