Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Aircon Gremlins (159 TI)

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  156_Grey_Veloce 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a possessed aircon? I have noticed recently the recirculate turns itself on and off. It switches the A light on the button on and off. Also if I have it at its lowest (1 little bar on display) just for clearing window when driving, sometimes intermittently it turns itself up to full.

It's not the end of the world but wondered if someone else has seen this and maybe found the cause

#6 ·
What happens, cuz it's cold at the mo and you have it set at 20*c, the air con is trying to keep the inside of the car at 20*c so even tho you set it on 1bar, it wants to heat the cabin up to 20 as quick as possible so turns the bars up to reach the desired temp then turn back down. It repeats this to keep the temp at the setting. Like your thermostat in your house.

#7 ·
Ah Ok :thumbu p:
Would it stop if I remember to turn off aircon (snowflake button) and just have it as warm air?

Generally if there is someone else in car and we're talking the windows gets a little steamed so I leave the warm air on low just to prevent it. I didn't realise the aircon in the car was that clever though, thanks for heads up :)

#10 ·
A classic case of 'RTFM', though I don't blame you, I never have.
So I'm in the same boat as you, I find the thing annoying more than anything, especially on short trips.
In recent times I've taken to using the 'Auto' buttons on longer journeys. That does work very nicely.

#13 ·
Here is what I said last November...

I missed this earlier but hopefully this is helpful. The AUTO on the main control will operate all functions automatically including the recirculation function. The A on the recirculation button switches on (manually) the Air Quality System. The AQS monitors the incoming air for pollutants and closes the outside air inlet. The recirculation button has three settings (in sequence) of 1) Forced Recirculation, 2) AQS On & 3) Recirculation Off.

As soon as you touch the recirculation button you are telling the Climate Control that you wish to turn off its automatic functions. So the AUTO on the main control goes off and you are running the whole system manually. To return to the climate control 'running things' you need to press the AUTO button again. It will then set the recirculation to what is needed and the function might show the Red Ring (Recirculation), The red A (AQS running) or no lights (air coming from outside). This last state is usually only running when the outside temperature has fallen below a value that AQS can tolerate.

So leaving the system on AUTO allows all functions to operate (including the mist sensor on the screen). Pushing any of the buttons switches off the expensive computer and leaves you to fiddle constantly as you monitor mist build up, temperature to the face, temperature to the feet, fan speed, diesel fumes outside etc etc

#16 ·
Hi

I thought i would add my scenario as it is semi-related.

My recently acquired 159 LE would constantly switch from normal to recirc, on wet days this would lead to fogging of the screen as it was spending a long time in recirc, this would then trigger the mist sensor and the screen would clear.
I understand the computer is doing electrickery but i explored more as it was just far too much recirc function (in my opinion)

It turned out my AQS sensor was faulty and giving a 206% signal all the time. So the car took every opportunity to recirc as it thought i was being gassed by exhaust gasses.

I've removed the AQS sensor (till a new one can be found), input reads 0% and the recirc isn't on every other minute now. The screen stays clear and all is good.

just my scenario, the computer needs good signals to work effectively.

Steve

#18 ·
This is the one thing that p155es me off about my 159 - The heater/air con does what it wants. Sometimes it randomly steams the windscreen up in seconds, you cant just bang it on full power/heat in the morning as it waits till its warm enough, air con constantly comes on every time i start it so im constantly turning it off and the recirc!!!!

Never had a car with such a stupid system. Mentioned it to my wife and she said her 156 does the same!!!!!

#24 ·
I tried another unit from a scrap car but it was faulty too. A new one was expensive ( can't remember how much) so I removed the function with MES proxy can alignment.

(I did test the power and wiring and all was fine)

It doesn't randomly switch to recirc anymore, I'd like the feature back but only if I can get a cheap sensor.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.