Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTA has been little used for the last three years. I had the aircon system re-gassed and it is holding the gas with no leaks. However the compressor isn't working up any pressure...probably because it's been standing idle too long.

I'll leave the aircon on as much as I can and hope that the compressor revives over the next few months.

Does anyone know any tricks to revive the compressor?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Is the wiring ok? I too thought I had a failed compressor on my old GTA, but when the aircon people had it they noticed that the contacts were u/s and when replaced worked fine.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Compressors are normally pretty reliable. Per what Chris said - is there a "click" from the general region of the front of the engine when you press the air con button? This will be clearly audible with the engine idling and the door/window open.

If there is a click - then the sensor thinks there is pressure and has engaged the clutch.

No click - either no pressure, or no power to the clutch.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compressors are normally pretty reliable. Per what Chris said - is there a "click" from the general region of the front of the engine when you press the air con button? This will be clearly audible with the engine idling and the door/window open.

If there is a click - then the sensor thinks there is pressure and has engaged the clutch.

No click - either no pressure, or no power to the clutch.
I thought it did sound as if the compressor was kicking in. I'll have another listen/look.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you know it isn't building up any pressure?
from the aircon machine at Northgate Alfa. It had a dial on it that measures the prssure from the compressor somehow.

I have a s/h compressor purchased from ebay for £19.99...so Northgate will fit that.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
So you have gas pressure, or the clutch would not kick in - there is a sensor that detects the "at rest pressure" - if there was none, it would knacker the pump in short order. If you are holding gas pressure on the low side, but building no pressure on the high side, then the pump is indeed suspect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts