Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of turing the aircon compressor off, but leaving all the other heating controls working ?

I could do this in my 159, but can't see how to do it in a Giulietta.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
I may be wrong but I think that is the subtle difference between air con and climate control.
In auto it blends the warm and chilled air according to sensors in the car to maintain the desired temp. The computer turns the compressor on and off as required it's not always on.
Pure air con simply chills the incoming air in rather a crude way. It's either on or off.

Hence no way to have climate control but disable the compressor.
I'm sure someone will have a more technical answer.

M

·
0 Posts
Its all just comfort cooling/heating. Proper aircon alters humidity

How would it cool and control temp without the compressor running? It'd just blow hot air in your face!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its all just comfort cooling/heating. Proper aircon alters humidity

How would it cool and control temp without the compressor running? It'd just blow hot air in your face!
I think you're assuming that the air outside the car is hot. In my previous car, a passat, you could use auto but without a/c on. On a cold day, this obviously used the heat of the engine to warm the cabin to the specified temperature, regulating fan speed dependent on the difference in temperature. On a hot day, it would do its best to regulate using outside air - basically on a really hot day this resulted in the fans being on full speed (and more than likely you turning the a/c on).

The point is, you don't necessarily need a/c to achieve a desired temperature, particularly when it's not the middle of summer. If it's true that just because the a/c light is lit, the a/c isn't necessarily working, then that probably solves it. I just don't want a/c to be running and using fuel when I don't need it to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is the relevant section from the manual p67...

"During fully automatic operation (AUTO), the word AUTO will dis- appear if the air distribution and/or flow rate and/or engagement of the compressor and/or recirculation settings are changed. In this way the climate control system will continue to automati- cally manage all functions except for those that have been manu- ally adjusted. There is only one fan speed in all the areas of the passenger compartment."

So there you have it. you can safely turn off the AC compressor and the system will continue to regulate everything else automatically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts