Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The three 7mm bolts to remove the air filter underneath the under trays have corroded to the point a 7mm just spins but a 6 wont go on anyone have a link to the dimensions of the bolt or a link so i can get new ones before removing the old bolts by force out ? for a Giulietta 1.4 MA 2011 ?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You can get 6.5mm sockets for 1/4" drive, might need a tap to get it onto the bolt head but you will need to get some new bolts when you refit the cover. I did my air filter just recently and IIRC the bolts are recessed in the housing, if they aren't can you use a grinder to cut a slot in them and try to undo with a flat blade screwdriver?

Or you could drill the centre of the blot head till it comes off leaving you with only the thread, the cover will then come off and you can use mole grips to undo the threads. You will still have to try and source new replacements to stay standard.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd drill and replace, also copper grease the threads of new bolts for future replacements..

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
That set only goes down to 8 mm so wouldn't help in this case.

As has been said previously by Isotope try a 6.5 mm or if you have any BA sockets, usually 1/4" drive, try one of those. I use ceramic grease, depending on the application, instead of copper grease which may cause electrolytic corrosion in combination with some metals. (Strange but true).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts