Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lady of short stature, is there a minimum distance you should be away from the steering wheel should the airbag deploy?? As in, if the bloomin thing goes off, is it going to be that close to me, it brakes all my ribs etc!

Cheers!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Think youll find that if the airbag deploys your going to be pretty close to it just like everyone else - I.e. in the damn thing :lol:
Airbags will not hurt you when they deploy, or at least nowhere near as much as it not deploying you and the dashboard stopping you instead. Aibags are only a danger when using babyseats and you can swith off passenger bags.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - my driving instructor reckoned I was too short to use them..................... perhaps he was just midget prejudice!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not unless your that short youll go clean underneath and are using a periscope to navigate by :)
I think if height was a factor the motor industry may have mentioned it by now.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys - I hasten to add I'm not one of these ladies that drives sat on the steering wheel! I over compensate for having seat pulled right forward by having the back virtually horizontal!

May seem to defeat the object but its dipping the clutch that causes me the problems!

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
It is an issue; and a serious one.

You only want to hit the airbag just as it has deployed/fully inflated; you do not want to strike it mid-inflation, when it is still accelerating toward you and blasting out of the steering at 200mph.

Airbags can, and sometimes, do, hurt. Airbag related burns are not uncommon in crashes. My sister recently wrote off her former Mercedes B-Class after driving it head on into a bus; she's short of stature and she had both seat-belt and airbag abrasions (a small price to pay for being alive following a collision of that magnitude though)

You have to bear in mind that airbags are effectively a bomb going off, albeit one designed to protect you from far worse crash effects - they are not comfy snooze cushions; they're a violent restraint system design to mitigate the even more violent effects of a severe impact. There have been cases of airbags killing/seriously injuring drivers because of their proximity to the wheel, and the general recommendation is that you should be at least 10" away from an airbag equipped steering. I shudder when i see people literally only a few inches away from the wheel; when the airbag goes off, it'll be like Mike Tyson smacking them full force in the mouth at 400mph; you won't stand a chance. :(

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O god............... Now I'm worried :eek:

Sorry to hear about your sister, hope she's ok now.

Right I fear I may spend the next three days googling airbag placement research. Chuffin eck!

Thanks for your help and advice.

Jo

PS - Just to clarify is it a imperial 10" or a blokes 10" :p

·
0 Posts
Sorry, but if it was an issue, the dealer that sold you the car is at fault IMHO (assuming they have seen you in person)

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
Sorry, but if it was an issue, the dealer that sold you the car is at fault IMHO (assuming they have seen you in person)
Jon,

Does your off-licence tell you not to buy cigarettes or alcohol, or the safe consumption levels of each when you do?

Airbag Dangers, Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) Lawsuit faq - Find Trial Lawyers and Attorneys with Experience in Airbag Dangers, Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) Personal Injury Law

"Are some people more likely to suffer harm from airbag inflation than others?
Yes. According to NHTSA children and diminutive adults are particularly susceptible to airbag-induced injuries. The agency recommends that all children under 13 sit in the backseat. Further, NHTSA states that in no case should a driver or passenger sit within 10 inches of a deploying airbag."

LONG AND SHORT OF AIRBAG DANGER - New York Post

Type 'airbag injury' into Google.

First Time MiTo:

I'm not sure if the MiTo has these, but some cars have 'smart' airbags; they detect the weight of the seat's occupant, and (IIRC) the seat's proximity to the wheel, and adjust the force of the 'bag accordingly, thus allowing for the chance that an occupant might be closer than recommended to the 'bag. Neat, huh? :)

My sis is fine now :) Her Benz was written off, but she brushed herself off, reflected, then carried on with life. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts