Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

friend of mine has some funny problem with his Airbag warning light:

He wanted to replace some bulbs of the speedometer. By mistake he also took out the bulb of the Airbag warning light. Then a mate of him wanted to get another car out of the garage, so he started the engine, moved the car a bit, and then refitted the bulbs. Since then the warning light is on. We are absolutely clueless how to cure this. Disconecting the battery for one night didn't help. Car is a 145 2.0 TS '98.

Anybody else with any helping idea?

grtz

amir

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Not sure about Alfa`s but most airbag system will leave the light on if a fault is registered and stored...............................he probably did this when he moved it :rolleyes:

Usually you need to get the code cleared to turn the light out ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except going to the local Alfa Dealer leaving your wallet, is there any other way to get the error codes out?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
its a dealer job only i'm afraid, if a present or previous event code is stored the light will come on until all history is cleared from the eeprom. You don't have to go to an Alfa dealer, any diag place which can reset the light on a TRW airbag ECU will do it....

I can communicate with the ecu and have written a program to do it, not much use if you havent got the cable though :eek:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Hey AJ, any chance that the program could be written to a PIC controller?

B

·
0 Posts
aj, i'd be interested to know how you connected to the ECU, was it via serial port and how easy is it to make the cable? I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself. Are you keeping the source code secret ;)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I think he is!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
correct he is.... and no i doubt i'll be developing a pic chip version......feel free to do your own though! :D

still finishing the software, then i'll make it avail through the forum. :)

Basically it'll need a laptop with a proper com port, not a usb->com adapter.

The cable is the standard VAGCOM type - KKL line convertor, to convert from 5v (ECU)to 12v (rs232). I've got the circuit diagram, cost about £10-£15 to make - on the 145 you dont need a 16 pin obd connector, thats almost a tenner on its own! Instead you need the 3 pin AMP plug automotive, available quite cheaply through RS/Maplin/Farnell...

now it even converts the error codes to something meaningful!
I promise a finished versino will be out soon....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts