Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just going to share my success with my Airbag Warning light, and cover somethings that took me some odd head scratching and loads of searching- so maybe this can save someone else time in the future.

The light came on Sunday and was fixed yesterday Tuesday.

This Monday I was completely new to this whole world of connecting the computer to a car- and I have basic computer knowledge. And I must say this was very easy.

Warning Light came on: discovered very soon that the light wouldn't disappear with the easy trick in a "01 147" of just "cleaning" the usual connections without removing the errors in the ECU with some kind of software.

So first off: Buy the cable- I bought a VAG KKL FIAT with the 4 position switch so you can with ease switch between the settings and for this purpose the AirBag setting.

I only have a Mac- also again this I haven't found covered, so what I did:

1. Installed Win XP in VMWare Fusion
2. Installed the correct drivers- Ross-Tech: VCDS: Downloads: Which One?
3. Did the usual trick in XP where you search for the specifik drivers in the Device Manager- for e.g c:/Ross-Tech- and then it didn't have the Communication Port drivers installed, but I just let it do it's own thing to search for the drivers- and it worked.
4. Install .NET Framework- I used version 3.5.
5. Download and install multiecuscan- I actually thought that the 20min session limit would work for in instance once a day- but no I was wrong, it's just to restart the program no worries there so no need to actually buy the software if you are a one time user like me.

Many claim that you can test the USB VAG KKL in the VCDS without connecting it to the car- that's not right, the led (at least for me) didn't light without connecting it at the other end.

It worked straight away when I connected it to the car.

The connection is just below the steering wheel, two screws holds the cover in place- just remove the screws and it will fold down- and the connector it's just right below the fuses.

Make sure that you have your cable set to the airbag setting.

Then within Multiecuscan you choose settings and then interfaces, mine said K-Line/VAGCOM and it only worked with choosing Serial Port COM3.

Now turn the ignition on.

So now it's just to scan for faults- you do this by choosing your car spec- then airbag, for me I had the two choices between Allied My97 Airbag and SIEMENS My99 Airbag- I assumed that I had the Allied airbag. Then it's just to press connect or f10. Press the Y button.

Now it connects and then it's just to wait, takes a couple of seconds- then it's just to go to the tab F3 Errors. There it will show what errors you have. My error was that the drivers curtain 255 squib value was too high. I searched the threads here at AO- and it seemed to be the connector in the boot.

Before you fiddle with the airbags disconnect the negative on the battery for at least 30min. In a 147 you'll find this yellow connector in the boot just behind the flap behind the rear light.

Otherwise it could be a fault just under the drivers or passenger seat, you can locate these just at the front of the seat.

Clean the connection, plug in the battery again, turn the ignition on do the same procedure as before in Multiecuscan and now hopefully *fingers crossed* you can clear the errors and the light should disappear.

Total cost for me was around £25 (250kr) and in Sweden this would cost around £225 to fix at the local mechanic, I had an XP licens and VMWare as a Trail.

I also made sure that I had the radiocode http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/140598-need-a-radio-code-ask-here-168.html just in case- but it turned out that I didn't need it, but many thanks to Hay88.

Just to summ it up:

It's not very hard, I was completely new to this.
Does it work on a Mac? well yes kinda with VMWare it does.
The KKL VAG Fiat cable that I used felt a bit dodgy, got it from Tradera (Ebay) was delivered the following day- I was in a bit of a hurry to get this fixed since me and my girlfriend travel a lot- if I would have gotten more time I would probably have ordered one from RareBear (seems to be a "standard" cable around here) and sure seems nicer.

Hopefully this will save someone time in the future, and is for help for other Alfistis.

Take Care!

·
Registered
268 Posts
My wife had the airbag light come on in her 147 JTD and apparently this is something that will happen if you adjust the seat while the ignition is on. There's a connection just under the front of the passenger seat, that if you disconnect, leave a few moments and reconnect, it cures the problem. I've carried out this procedure 2 or 3 times since she's owned the car and it has always had positive results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife had the airbag light come on in her 147 JTD and apparently this is something that will happen if you adjust the seat while the ignition is on. There's a connection just under the front of the passenger seat, that if you disconnect, leave a few moments and reconnect, it cures the problem. I've carried out this procedure 2 or 3 times since she's owned the car and it has always had positive results.
Is this an 04 or above model? Because an 01 model I'm pretty sure that you have to clear the light with for e.g multiecuscan.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Have a read through my fix-it thread for advice on this.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=377491

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
@yellow peril156
you are right !

check my demo movie on youtube rarebear14, this is my 99 156 selespeed

If the error persists you sure have a real problem with the ACU and/or the connectors,
be very very careful with airbag operations ! there are some movies on youtube that
show how dangerous these things are !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
could anyone tell me the correct colour wires go to what as the connector block has been removed and crimp lugs used instead, these have been disconnected for some reason, its on a 147 02 plate under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
541 Posts
My MOT is coming up; I may grab this cable or just get my local mechanic to reset the light.

It's defo my passenger seat cable that does it- I think last time the pre-tensioner flagged up.

Anyway yesterday I properly cleaned both connectors under the seat and then arranged them back and used three tie-wraps to secure in place to the seat so there's less movement and leverage when the seat is moved.

Last time it came on it was due to the seat being moved (for a rear passenger to get out of the three door)
so the thing is- if I've fixed it back-

Is there an easy way to get the light to go off if the problem is fixed or does the light still need to be reset via software?

Maybe disconnecting the battery (and hence airbag capacitors for 30 mins) will it sort itself out?

No harm in trying I guess!

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 T-Spark 2001

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Airbag light

it depends on the year the car was manufactured, post 04 cars may reset If its an intermittent error , but older cars need a software reset.
You can unplug the + and - cables from the battery and hold them together for a few seconds
this will do the trick (not , If its a real error)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!
I have found this simple fix on youtube. There can be a faulty connector in the trunk near the right light. Here is the video, very helpful:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello!
I have found this simple fix on youtube. There can be a faulty connector in the trunk near the right light. Here is the video, very helpful:

Thank you!

good find!
I think I’ll look at his other posts for 147 tips too.

I think I soldered the rear connectors a while back. As well as the B pillar ones and the ones under the seats.

I used the diagnostic cable and software back in late February and sorted it. So satisfying turning that Airbag Warning Light all by myself and having the means to do it again!!
It’s still off thank goodness!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts