Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Spider GTV and had to take the passenger seat out. I had to therefore disconnect the airbag connection under the seat. I have reconnected this but the airbag warning light on the dashboard will not go out. Someone told me that this was not just a matter of reconnecting, it would have to be professionally reset. Can anyone help please. I am not technically qualified so please, no jargon. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Too late for this advice but you should have disconnected the battery first and left it for 10 minutes before disconnecting the seat. You'll know next time though.

As to the light, yes it will need a reset. The ecu is under the rear seat. If you have a phase 1 ( black console ) the rear seat has to be removed to get at the diagnostic port and make sure you get the airbag lead and not the hood port! ). If you have a phase 2 ( silver console ) the diagnostic port is near the fusebox ( by the driver's right knee ).

If you have a laptop, you could try resetting with the demo version of FiatEcuScan or Alfadiag ( now free ) and a suitable lead. For both phase 1 & 2 you'll need a KKL lead ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_nkw=kkl+lead&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=308181995081 ) and for phase 1 you'll need a 3 pin adaptor ( e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-3-Pin-OBD2-16-Pin-Diagnostic-Cable-Adapter-Fiat-Alfa-Romeo-Lanica-/360404136137?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e9c2b0c9 ) and the KKL lead needs a 4 way switch or 3 pins soldered together.

Or ask around and see if anyone near you already has the kit and could do it for a pint or three!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airbag connection

pkr.

This was my first attempt at connecting to an internet forum of any sort whatsoever and it's turned out to be a very rewarding experience thanks to you taking the time to send such a comprehensive reply. Whats more, even I can understand it!

Thanks again for your time and valuable information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this may sound silly, but when I posted the original memo above I did not have the registration document (wife looks after these and was not at home when I needed her!) so I took the details of her car from an instruction book in the glove compartment and it was for a GTV. When you mentioned the point about the ECU being under the "back seat" I realised that I might not have given the correct info. (there is no back seat!). The car is actually a two seater 1998 Spider T Spark 16v Convertible. No doubt this will make an (ever so slight) difference to your helpful reply above? Sorry.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I know this may sound silly, but when I posted the original memo above I did not have the registration document (wife looks after these and was not at home when I needed her!) so I took the details of her car from an instruction book in the glove compartment and it was for a GTV. When you mentioned the point about the ECU being under the "back seat" I realised that I might not have given the correct info. (there is no back seat!). The car is actually a two seater 1998 Spider T Spark 16v Convertible. No doubt this will make an (ever so slight) difference to your helpful reply above? Sorry.
No, that's my stupid error. It's in the cubby hole in the spider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts