Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have just bought a 1997 Spyder and my son (who is 5) wants to come in it but i cant fnd a way to turn off the Air bag does anyone know how i can do it?

Any help would be great! :confused:

Thanks Neil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, just had a look but its not there unfortunately did manage to find the user manual but it said it should be by the drivers side footwell but not there either not having much luck lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant see it there either am I right in thinking im looking for a slot for my key so i can turn it off?

I have looked everywhere in the car and i cant seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
cant see it there either am I right in thinking im looking for a slot for my key so i can turn it off?

I have looked everywhere in the car and i cant seem to find it anywhere.
does yours actually have a passenger airbag?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure. Someone on here must have a P1 Spider to confirm if their car has the de-act function. If it has it would be in the passenger footwell as described. You cant really miss it so I guess its not there.

I assume the only way of de-acting is to get it disconnected, not sure how easy that would be though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that im sure i will sort somthing out but if anyone knows how to deactivate it, it would be realy handy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you do not have the deactivation key as described earlier, then you need to disassemble the airbag, 4 bolts inside the glove box, when you have pulled the airbag out disconnect the yellow connector and the end coming from the car (not the airbag end)is to be connected to the yellow dummy resistor in the bottom of the "hole" where the airbag was mounted, all this must be done with the ignition key out of ignition switch.

:)

J

·
0 Posts
If you do not have the deactivation key as described earlier, then you need to disassemble the airbag, 4 bolts inside the glove box, when you have pulled the airbag out disconnect the yellow connector and the end coming from the car (not the airbag end)is to be connected to the yellow dummy resistor in the bottom of the "hole" where the airbag was mounted, all this must be done with the ignition key out of ignition switch.

:)
As a mechanic i would NEVER recommend doing this, it is dangerous....

The P1 Spiders were never fitted with a cut off switch, as a result it was not possible

Neil, why would you want to deactivate the airbag, the only time you were never recommended to put a child in the front with an airbag is if it rearward facing

·
Registered
469 Posts
+1

It's only when you have a baby in a rearward facing seat that you should turn the airbag off.

Front-facing passengers *need* an airbag.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This may be of use, taken from - Child Car Seats : Carrying Children Safely

Q: Can I put a forward-facing child restraint in the front passenger seat if it has an active airbag?

A: It is better not to place a forward-facing restraint in a seat with an airbag; try to avoid this if possible. If it is not possible, then check the advice of the vehicle manufacturer. Find out how far the airbag extends when deployed and ensure that your child is well outside the expansion area. Ensure that the passenger seat is as far back from the airbag as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The child needs to sit on a booster seat to bring him up to adult height, otherwise if the airbag deploys it is likely to hit him in the head instead of the chest this can be fatal. There was a fatality recently from just that, child had it's skull fractured by the airbag abd died.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so i need to find out how far it deploys, thanks again everyone you have been so much help.

He is on a boster seat now just wasnt sure and didnt want to risk it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts