Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a mid '99 156 v6 here which passed its MOT test last year with its airbag lights on, but this is now, since may I think, a fail! Car breezed through otherwise but I am stuck on the lights.
I did some searching on the web but most 'cures' seem to concentrate on the yellow lead plug under the front seat(s).
I can't find any! It has no side (seat) airbags, which made me think that was why no plugs were there, but my local garage said 'there'll still be a plug mate, for the seat belt pretensioner, its in the buckle'
I thought they were in the reel? Anyway I can't see one, and my partners '02 156 has one under each seat.
My car is an Italian import ( I suppose they all were, but you know what I mean...) but I haven't noticed any difference in spec whatsoever.
Can anyone shed any light?
:confused:

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
The RfR (reason for rejection) for a non working airbag light has been removed from the UK MoT as of March.
So it would now pass with the bulb removed...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RfR (reason for rejection) for a non working airbag light has been removed from the UK MoT as of March.
So it would now pass with the bulb removed...
Are you sure about that? I asked the MOT man (he is shall we say, friendly..) if that was the case, but he reckoned the lights must be seen to come on with the ignition, then extinguish after starting.
I think I would rather try to fix the fault cheaply if I can, especially since the airbags won't function til it's fixed.
Thanks for the info tho.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Ask him to read page 5 of "MOT Special Notice 1 - 2013".

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure but thought they had amended that just recently so that you couldn't just remove the bulb.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I'm not sure but thought they had amended that just recently so that you couldn't just remove the bulb.
The 2012 changes that only actually came into effect in March 2013 were heavily amended and this is one of the amendments.

So, a year ago a non working airbag light was an advisory.
Now it isn't an advisory or a failure...!

G

·
0 Posts
Right . Just been reading through the amendments that I could find and it really isn't clear it seems to contradict itself so will bow to your knowledge on this one . ;)
I was under the impression that it had to be seen to come on and then go off .
ie. if it did not come on then that was classed as inoperative .
That's why I questioned it .

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Right . Just been reading through the amendments that I could find and it really isn't clear it seems to contradict itself so will bow to your knowledge on this one . ;)
I was under the impression that it had to be seen to come on and then go off .
ie. if it did not come on then that was classed as inoperative .
That's why I questioned it .
That was the case until the amendments in the doc I mentioned above.

G

·
0 Posts
Ask him to read page 5 of "MOT Special Notice 1 - 2013".
I read this but as said it is a bit of a contradiction .
I thought the idea of it being included was the fear of the system activating without warning that's what the light was for. Therefore making it dangerous .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2012 changes that only actually came into effect in March 2013 were heavily amended and this is one of the amendments.

So, a year ago a non working airbag light was an advisory.
Now it isn't an advisory or a failure...!
Thanks David C, it's clear that you're well informed, and the above info is extremely interesting! I will whizz back there tomorrow and pleasantly ask him to get his book out!

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I read this but as said it is a bit of a contradiction .
I thought the idea of it being included was the fear of the system activating without warning that's what the light was for. Therefore making it dangerous .
Where is the contradiction in that doc?

G

·
0 Posts
It was stating that operation lights should be checked . If I understood asr airbag etc then says that if they don't work at all that's ok isn't that a contradiction of the reason for the original inclusion?
Not arguing for or against just don't understand the thinking behind the exclusion.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I keep a spare display unit in case of NCT ( MOT ) emergencies, it has the code warning light wired into the airbag warning light. Comes on with ignition and extinguishes after a few seconds....just like the real thing :)

M

·
0 Posts
Get a cable as sure as heck gonna be boot connectors for curtain airbags or connector under pass seat...

Just checked and fixed mine (connector in boot again).

Obd2 cable is invaluable esp on older 156's as light doesn't reset itself.

G

·
0 Posts
I keep a spare display unit in case of NCT ( MOT ) emergencies, it has the code warning light wired into the airbag warning light. Comes on with ignition and extinguishes after a few seconds....just like the real thing :)
:lol: like it :thumbs:
How's the Twinkie running did you get the aux belt on ok

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get a cable as sure as heck gonna be boot connectors for curtain airbags or connector under pass seat...

I think side airbags were an option til 2000, which mine doesn't have, and iirc curtain bags were a 2002 (CF3?) facelift addition with a whole new wiring loom...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'll take your advice on the cable tho, I'm sure it would get used a fair bit!

·
Registered
462 Posts
The seat belt pre-tensioner is in the b pillar not the buckle, the yellow wires would be behind the trim there. Might just need the codes clearing as the earlier ones don't tend to after disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so. Worth cleaning the connections anyway. Any recent work behind the dash or centre console? Easy to disturb the wiring back there without realising and that can do it too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts