Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, :thumbs:

I know there has been tons of threads about airbag light etc etc and with the new MOT rules out this year I dont want my car to fail the test.

I plugged in my diagnostic scan into the ecu and it refused to clear the airbag light and told me to check for any breakages, etc etc disconnect the battery and so on and so on....

Obviously the first places for me to check to the seat belt pre-tensioners, and the yellow clips holding the lead from the seat to the main lead that runs underneath the carpet.

Almost a year ago I replace the grey carpet and black cloth seats with a tan carpet and tan leather seats and ever since then the airbag light has been on.

Is there any tips anyone can recommend to me? before on Friday I start sorting the problem out.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed:cry:

Sean

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is could be completely unrelated but I had the airbag light problem about 7 years ago. It was finally cured by fitting a new steering wheel as the airbag squib itself was at fault.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I think you have solved it yourself. The connections under the seat are a very common reason for the light to come on. You must disconnect the battery and wait half an hour or so before working on them. The best solution is to solder join them IMO but at the end of the day, anything that ensures a good tight connection will be fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you have solved it yourself. The connections under the seat are a very common reason for the light to come on. You must disconnect the battery and wait half an hour or so before working on them. The best solution is to solder join them IMO but at the end of the day, anything that ensures a good tight connection will be fine.
Hi Mitch,

Which are the relavent connections? There is litle room to see under the seats, let alone get hands in.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Yep, yellow ones. I would be tempted to remove the seat. It's very easy and will give you loads of room and you will be able to Hoover (other vacuum cleaners are avaliable) under the seats :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
You will of course have to remove the unit from the seat

·
Registered
948 Posts
I soldered my pretensioner connections with the seats in place, though I admit it was tight on space.

With the seats pushed forward as far as possible I discovered a few cable ties holding the wires/connectors up against the seat base, once these were removed the connectors were able to be pulled out into the rear footwells for the waiting soldering iron to attend to.

I just hacked the yellow plastic block off and discarded it all, covering the bullet connectors in heat shrink sleeves once soldered.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Mitch,

And thanks for the photos, I'll give it a go on Friday:thumbs:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello Everyone, :thumbs:

I know there has been tons of threads about airbag light etc etc and with the new MOT rules out this year I dont want my car to fail the test.

I plugged in my diagnostic scan into the ecu and it refused to clear the airbag light and told me to check for any breakages, etc etc disconnect the battery and so on and so on....

Obviously the first places for me to check to the seat belt pre-tensioners, and the yellow clips holding the lead from the seat to the main lead that runs underneath the carpet.

Almost a year ago I replace the grey carpet and black cloth seats with a tan carpet and tan leather seats and ever since then the airbag light has been on.

Is there any tips anyone can recommend to me? before on Friday I start sorting the problem out.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed:cry:

Sean
Good luck with this.
I had similar problem a week after getting my v6 and after having had seats out to do joints and swapped around tensioners, I stiil got airbag light.
Turned out it was the squib behind steering wheel.Cleaned up brass track and OK since.
I have pics how to get at if you need them.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with this.
I had similar problem a week after getting my v6 and after having had seats out to do joints and swapped around tensioners, I stiil got airbag light.
Turned out it was the squib behind steering wheel.Cleaned up brass track and OK since.
I have pics how to get at if you need them.
mmm.... interesting as my steering squeaks a little when turning the wheel occasionally.

I would be really grateful if you could send me some pics here on the forum or you could send them to [email protected]

Cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats where I got mine from:), if you have any problems. Give me shout:thumbs:

Sean
Cheers mate, just ordered one this afternoon so hopefully have the light reset in the not too distant future. Should have bought it ages ago it's been driving me mad for months!!

Gonna give the Alfadiag demo a go first, will either upgrade or buy fiatscan later in the year

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just realised FiatECUScan is free too, just downloading it now :thumbs:
Good man:thumbs:

You'll be also suprised to see what else you can do with the fiatecuscan:-

How much the car the has been revved to.

Any other faults codes, etc etc.

Worth the investment:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts