Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if this is common and what causes it?

It's off to the dealer(still under warranty) but it would help it I had an idea.

Oh car is a 156 20v.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes its a typical Alfa problem - mine has come on after re-set 3 times in the last 5 mths.

Every so often when my wife adjusts the drivers seat the light pops on!

How ever the diagnostic tests very often says diffrent things not related to the wiring being possibly disturbed under the driver seat for the a/bag !

I have heard that you can have the wires soldered into the box under the drivers seat and that often cures the issue.

My probs only occurs like I have said when the drivers seat has been moved.

A diagnostic test and re-set will vary in price dependending on where you take it and only takes about 5mins at tops to do.

Main rule - never have the test done at an Alfa dealership their prices are crazy. Some places will do it for around £20 (cheapest quote i've had) - but its not money well spent if it continues to re-occur shortly afterwards !

The a/bag is disabled when the light is on and from what I'm led to believe an a/bag only gives around a 5-8% improvement to your well being if involved in a prang. Not sure I'd like one smacking me in my face - but if its a toss up between that and the steering wheel then I know which one I'd go for !!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well...i noticed the same thing picking my spider up from a service today...and took it back stright away. apparently, if you drop the seat back or far forward with the ignition switched off, then the little computer thingy is fooled into thinking there's been a big crash and the airbag light comes on, effectively disabling the airbags....
supposedly happens especially when the passenger seat is fiddled with...
seemed really easy to remedy though:)

·
Administrator
47,886 Posts
Don't think that's quite right Broom - it knocks the airbag connections under the seat, breaking the circuit and making the airbag system think there's a fault.

On earlier cars this would mean (after making sure the connection is OK) getting the airbag system reset. On some newer ones the airbag system will self-reset after a couple of switch off-and-ons.
I had an airbag light episode a few months back, after making sure all connections were ok I restarted the car and the light stayed on. This convinced me I'd have to go to the dealer for a reset, but the next morning it was fine, and I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
One of the reasons to buy an Alfadiag license and cable and you can fix it yourself !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts