Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Pictured Crash sensor and Airbag ECU (some manufactures use external sensors)
unquote

thats right, but we are talking Alfa here, the airbag ECU is also referred to as ACU
A airbag
C Control
U Unit

????

is it not the same as ECU....

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
A airbag
C Control
U Unit

????

is it not the same as ECU....
rearbear got it right the last time.

But let's get back on topic; Someone asked:

Only the full version of FiatECUScan can deal with airbag errors?

At this point, the OP did not get much help from us. But if FES said the squib is faulty, 1st thing to do is try replacing it. I don't think this is a DIY job... So any garage is recommended?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
rearbear got it right the last time.

But let's get back on topic; Someone asked:

Only the full version of FiatECUScan can deal with airbag errors?

At this point, the OP did not get much help from us. But if FES said the squib is faulty, 1st thing to do is try replacing it. I don't think this is a DIY job... So any garage is recommended?
Cheers loknar - i'm still no clearer on what the squib actually is.
If the free FES will clear airbag faults then i'll perhaps proceed with replacing the drivers airbag assembly followed by the ACU if that doesn't clear it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Your fault is present so it can't be cleared.

An airbag squib is with the airbag itself. I think it is the detonator that is triggered to inflate it. Nobody here seems to know if the squib can be replaced by itself or it comes with the airbag. In any case, you need to buy some so better ask a shop or parts supplier.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks Loknar/E500.
I think i go with my plan as mentioned. Change the whold drivers airbag part (£15 on fleabay), then if that fails the ACU.
Thanks for the offer E500, not sure any parts from a 145 would fit??? Its the drivers airbag i want first.
Cheers again guys - will keep you posted!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks Loknar/E500.
I think i go with my plan as mentioned. Change the whold drivers airbag part (£15 on fleabay), then if that fails the ACU.
Thanks for the offer E500, not sure any parts from a 145 would fit??? Its the drivers airbag i want first.
Cheers again guys - will keep you posted!
It's all off a 2001 156 SW.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Potential solution, airbag ECU/module

Any suggestions on where to look next??

Hi,

new to the forum :) I have a potential solution, however I have not performed the operation yet so to speak...

I've got a similar issue with my Alfa, it's a 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS 2.0.

My airbag warning light is on, and I have had it diagnosed by Alfa as a fault in the Airbag ECU/Airbag Module (whatever you wish to call it), part #: 0060675876 (the 00 at the front are apparently unimportant).

I was quoted for a new part at $1590 AUD (Aussie dollars) + $180 for Labour, OUCH! Now in the interest of saving money I have sourced a second hand Airbag module from a wreckers yard for $100 AUD...quite a saving ;). Also this gave me the advantage of learning where the module was located in the car. For a Right-Hand Drivers side car, the module is located on the passengers side in lets call it the centre-console area (not sure what it's really called).

I am going to have a crack at installing the part myself to save $180 smackers, it doesn't look too hard (famous last words?) remove some carpet, a couple of screws and a plug in...The unit will probably need to be reset by alfa, but hopefully if I install it they can just reset it and it will be cheap. But you could equally source the part yourself and have a pro do the whole installation/reset.

Sounds like you've had a hell of a time trying to find the source of the problem and had a lot of work done. Mine was initially diagnosed as the squib, however that was by a non-alfa repairer, and they reccomended I take it to alfa which I did and it ended up as Airbag ECU fault. Anyway, might be the source of your problem?

Good luck with it anyway :)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
To reset the thing you need alfadiag and a cable , will save you another 100 smackers

p.s. Did a couple of ACU changes, 15 minute job. Incl reset with AD
Does your garage use kangaroos for these jobs ?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Who to trust between non-alfa garage and alfa dealer claiming the ECU is faulty? I trust none of those; The OP replaced the ECU 3 times and still got the same issue.

I'd try to find an independent alfa garage... surely there are some in Australia!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
And not sure what is the model of your Airbag system. Someone here always recommends Alfadiag, but it does not support my airbag ECU (don't ask how I know). FiatECUScan free version can detect all possible Airbag ECU so you should start with this one (FiatECUSCan.net).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fixed Airbag issue :)

Hey all,

Great news on the car front. After I struggled for an hour or two to get the Airbag ECU/Module out, I had a fresh look at it and figured there must be a different way, from there it took 5 mins!! Haha. (For future reference to make it easy, have a socket wrench with the right sized bit M8 I think? And work on the Airbag module from both sides of the car, or if you have to choose one, choose the drivers side as that is where the wire clip is located)

As part of putting the new module in I disengaged the negative of the battery (for safety), didn't want an airbag to the face while I was working...

Anyway, I then read about an ECU reset process, and seeing as I'd had my battery unplugged for more than 45mins I thought I'd give it a go. It worked amazingly!! Airbag light is off, cars idling issue is fixed for now (however I will still probably need a new idle actuator), and...all it cost me was $100 AUD (+ $120 for the initial diagnosis from alfa), pretty happy! :)

The strange thing was that the part number that alfa gave me and the part number of the airbag module that was in the car were different...I feel like the previous owner may have tried to replace/fix it with the wrong module...who knows, nonetheless I used a module with the p/n advised by alfa '0060675876'. Works perfectly as far as I'm aware, who am I to question the inner workings of an alfa romeo :p

Cheers :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who to trust between non-alfa garage and alfa dealer claiming the ECU is faulty? I trust none of those; The OP replaced the ECU 3 times and still got the same issue.

I'd try to find an independent alfa garage... surely there are some in Australia!
Hey Loknar,

not sure about independant alfa garage, I guess the one I went to was probably as close to that as possible. McCarroll's Alfa Romeo, I would say that they are independant, but alfa certified...if that's how it works, not sure.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Op hasn't replaced the acu at all.... yet ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
do u need to do a ecu re-set after changing the airbag ecu to get the airbag light off? also how do i know if the airbag ecu currently in my car is the right one, because i bought a secondhand one with the same numbers and still have the same fault code!!!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts