Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all!

Ok, so my last (hopefully for along time!) fault, and i'm needing a little help!
I know there are a tonne of threads already on this - too many to read through fully tbh - but i've not found anything thats really jumped out at me!

Basically - I have an airbag light on, and have done since taking the car over a fortnight ago. The previous (and only) owner has also had trouble with this. I have found three receipts relating to airbag fault finding!

The first two are main dealer: re-seated connectors in boot, fault cleared.
The third receipt says 'investigated - replaced ecu - fault cleared'

By ecu, i'm presuming this is the part in the steering wheel??

Anyway, PO said the light came back on pretty much immediately after this work was done.

So, since i've had the car i've re-seated the curtain connectors in the boot, and reseated the connectors under the seats - whether or not this has done any good i dont know!

Looking on FES - i have the following:
08 - Driver Squib Circuit - Value too low - Present -152

The Airbag activating circuit indicated by the code is shorted to Ground. This may be caused by a faulty circuit, Squib or ECU.
Inspect the wiring and connectors for opens, shorts and weak connections.
Observe the following safety rules:
- Do NOT place anything on the steering wheel or dash, or work directly in front of them.
- Turn the Key OFF and wait at least for 10 minutes, then disconnect the battery and wait for 15 minutes before unplugging the Airbag connectors.
- Inspect the wiring and connectors for weak connections or damage.
- Reassemble the connectors in the reverse order, and reconnect the battery as the last step.
- Turn the ignition on and erase all the fault codes. Cycle the key off for a few minutes, then back on and check the fault codes.

The car had a bump on the nose a couple of years back (PO drove into garage door). I have asked if this caused the airbags to deploy and was told they didn't.

Any suggestions on where to look next??

cheers! :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Not sure, but supposedly there is a connection heading to the drivers steering airbag that can become faulty. Take off the steering wheel cowel and check in there, as you know, yellow wiring indicates airbag/safety. Obviously have battery disconnected etc and radio code handy.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but supposedly there is a connection heading to the drivers steering airbag that can become faulty. Take off the steering wheel cowel and check in there, as you know, yellow wiring indicates airbag/safety. Obviously have battery disconnected etc and radio code handy.
Cheers Daryl - would this be the actual cowling under the wheel - or is there a further connection inside the fuse panel (i noticed loads of connectors when plugging my laptop in, but never bothered looking lol!)?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What a pain in the rear, those airbags. I got someone at the indie garage with the same issue on a side airbag. Wish I could help him. Can't afford dealer at all.

"Value Too Low". wish I had a clue what is the process in this case. Checked eLearn, but really no help at all -as usual.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Squib? That's a child with no magical powers in Harry Potter, right?
:lol:
All I can tell from Alfa Repair manual:
Airbag Warning Light ON - Insert customer credit card in slot B and replace Airbag.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im wondering if its a loose connection in the wheel from the ecu replacement. How do i access that for a looksee?

D

·
0 Posts
I doubt it would be a loose connection from the ecu. if anything it will be on the steering wheel side rather than the ECU

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Me neither. Alfa 'experts' around me won't go near the customer's airbags as if they were land mines.

But I will try to find a condemned Alfa next week and play around with it. Hope to get real expert advice soon, as my only knowledge at this time is that electric current is a flow of electrons.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
The airbag crash sensor (wrongly named airbag ECU) is bolted to the transmission tunnel behind the panel next to your left foot (if you have a british alfa). it contains a small lead ball that reacts if a certain G number is registered and tells the main ECU to deploy airbags.
These crash sensors sometimes fail an must be replaced, repair is impossible.
Alfa price is around 200 quid, but you get them from a breaker for around 50.
And on older Alfas (pre 2002) you need a reset with Examiner or alfadiag.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Are you saying this error:

08 - Driver Squib Circuit - Value too low - Present -152

.. means that the crash sensor has failed? It rather sounds like the explosive release device circuit. The value is too low, it would help to understand what value is expected. It sounds like the value is not 0, so the connection is good, but the circuit resistance is abnormal. Maybe the squib is faulty.

Are you sure the crash sensors are connected to the main ECU and it then controls airbag release? It seems cars have a separate Airbag ECU (aka ACU). Seems to me we connect to different ECUs when we use FiatECUScan for motor, gears, etc..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers guys. do i start with checking the connections to the bag behind the wheel and the connections to the control unit (which has already been replaced once)?
Is it not going to be any of the other connectors on the airbag system?

cheers

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If you take a crash sensor apart and measure the connections to what pin they transmit , you will notice that there is a direct connection with the motronic ECU. The crash sensor does not
have a seperate connector for reading out the error log, all control goes through the 16 pins female connector in the fuse box (older Alfas, obd1, have separate connectors)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know what type of bolts are holding the steering wheel airbag on? Are they small allens like on the steering cowling?? Can't see into the holes behind the wheel, and the workshop manual simply says 'bolts' lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Anyone know what type of bolts are holding the steering wheel airbag on? Are they small allens like on the steering cowling?? Can't see into the holes behind the wheel, and the workshop manual simply says 'bolts' lol
They are a small allen key, not torx cant remember size.

I'm just in the middle of stripping a 2001 156 SW and took out the airbag ECU and most of the wiring last night, removed the sensors from the door pillars without cutting any wires, doing the steering wheel wire next if you need any bits.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, i've got it - 5mm. Total pain to get any purchase on them due to combination of steering stalks and the length of my allen key.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts