Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right just bought my first 159 and wanted aux on my CD player. So removed it and fitted the aux cable.

Now my steering wheel controls do not work and passenger airbag is faulty, are these faults separate or connected?

Plugged it into MES

and it comes up with :

Fault : B1005 - Passenger airbag exclusion Control Light - Signal High - Fatal

Battery voltage: 11 V
Passenger airbag exclusion switch: ON
Passenger airbag & Knee guard: Disabled
Passenger airbag exclusion control light: ON
Rear side airbags exclusion switch: ON
Rear side airbags: Disabled
Rear side airbags exclusion light: OFF
Energy reserve: Normal

Signal is high and the fault is now present

I have :
Checked the wiring of the airbag (main airbag, behind the glove box) and radio
Removed the battery
Done a proxy alignment as I though as the radio controls are via CAN this may be the fix.
Fully disconnected the radio
Cleared the fault code 10 times - fault will not be cleared
Turned the airbag switch on and off as specified on the ECU scan forum, tried clearing the code etc.
Checked passenger seat wiring

One thing that is puzzling is that the airbag and wheel controls are on opposite sides of the car.

So this leads me to the question's
Can the wheel controls be tested through MultiEcuScan
Why wont the passenger airbag fault clear (I would of thought I am missing a wire which is currently disconnected... but I cannot see any)
(If it helps with further testing I have the Gendan Elm module with the necessary leads/adapters)

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Bill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right Managed to fix it,

What was needed was for the Fusebox and what I think was the body computer to be disconnected with the battery off. Once reassembled a proxy alignment was needed and it all works perfectly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me I think it was a logic lock that occurred causing the fault. So disconnecting the body computer from the junction box allowed any fault to fully clear as all components could properly discharge.

Do this with the battery disconnected, it is something you can try but be careful when I did it on reassembly it caused a fuse to blow and then a proxy alignment was needed because of the disconnection of the can system, so it is not without risks (I expect it could've been worse, but that is what fuses are for).

I attempted this as Ecu Scan reported : "Failure warning lamp status (from CAN): Error"

But with yours it sounds more like a bad connection... Does the fault clear or does ECU scan report it is currently present?

See the upload for the disconnection of the Junction box and Body Computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
the issue has been traced back to the side airbag, where a failsafe short circuit was tripped even though it appeared to be connected.

hopefully it doesnt trip itself again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The connector was not fully in.. So the way the fail safe works is that if there is no physical connection it defaults to a short... For some reason the connector had slightly slipped just enough it trigger the short.. Better then having an open circuit I guess.

Also the connector was in the back of the seat

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me I think it was a logic lock that occurred causing the fault. So disconnecting the body computer from the junction box allowed any fault to fully clear as all components could properly discharge.

Do this with the battery disconnected, it is something you can try but be careful when I did it on reassembly it caused a fuse to blow and then a proxy alignment was needed because of the disconnection of the can system, so it is not without risks (I expect it could've been worse, but that is what fuses are for).

I attempted this as Ecu Scan reported : "Failure warning lamp status (from CAN): Error"

But with yours it sounds more like a bad connection... Does the fault clear or does ECU scan report it is currently present?

See the upload for the disconnection of the Junction box and Body Computer.

How did you pull the whole lot out ? Did you have to remove leg airbag ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have same fault can u advise me ? Disconnect battery then wait 20 mins for any charge to go
After waiting disconnect fuse box then disconnect body computer
Then put back body computer then put back fuse box then attach battery
Now proxy alignment this Ian unsure how I do
Have only 10 days till mot so panic!!!!
Please help out as soon as u can many thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts