Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 1.9 jtdm has a nice warning light telling me my Air Pollution Filter is full. Car isn't in limp home mode and is running fine, though I think the mpg has dropped right off. I've been running the car round town a lot doing deliveries and I'm guessing the DPF needs to burn off?

How do I force it to do so, or will it do it itself if I go cruise down the motorway, how long/far do I need to go to clean it out?

Owed the car for 6 months now, 5000 miles, never been aware of it doing a regen.

Advise gratefully received please....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That is difficult to answer without FIAT ecu scan.
With ecy scan you can force a regen.
If you want the car to do it on its own the best might be to take it on a trip and keep the rpm above 2000 although I am sure your car will start a regen below 2000rpm.
As soon as all the temps are fine a regen should happen the duration of the regen will probably depend on a lot of variables.
I am sure there’s a person out there with more accurate information.

I found that my 2.4 tend top start a regen after driving for +/- 20km.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Ideally, warm the car up, accelerate hard up the on ramp of the motorway, drive for half an hour at 70mph in 4th gear and it should sort itself out.

Keep an eye on the current fuel consumption dropping to see when it starts and stops - 20odd mpg is the norm.

FES can tell you when it l;ast regenned, the average mileage between regens, the average duration, average temperature, %age blocked...etc. and can forcr one if its went too far for the car to sort out itself.

A forced regen is a bit scary though - red hot exhaust and a car sitting still with 3500 rpm and smoke pouring out..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Fiat ECU scan, I'll plug it in tomorrow and have a look. Thanks.

I dont recall it ever doing 1, is it obvious?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Its not obvious but if you look and listen for it you will hear the tome of the exhaust changing, the boost starts behaving different and the consumption plummets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts