Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air oil separator/ crankcase breather unit at back if engine is encased in a thick layer of very sticky oil, almost to the stage of dripping
Going to check hoses to see if any blockages but my question is can this unit be taken apart and cleaned out or is it best to fit a new one
Also lots of oil near intake pipe where the over engine breather pipe attaches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take it off and soak in degreaser overnight?

That's the option I was thinking about but if the insides are blocked with the same sort of sludge that covers the outside I'm not sure it would penetrate enough to thoroughly clean

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have asked if anyone has cleaned one of these before and does the actual canister even come apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
No idea, but if you can lift the large hose in the top, and it lifts easily with a brass tube attached to it, then the push-fit tube clamp that is supposed to hold it in place has failed and allowed oil fumes to coat the outside and mix with dirt. Inside should just be oil that gets recovered from crankcase fumes and drains to the sump.

The clamp is part of the vacuum oil recovery unit body, and is supposed to comprise a ring that you lift to release the brass tube, as found on push-fit plumbing. If it's missing or damaged (common) it's not available separately, so either you replace the entire unit, or devise some sort of DIY seal, or put up with it.

Mine is missing entirely and is on the list of things I'll get around to at some point. Having cleaned it up a couple of months ago (brake cleaner and a cloth) it's stayed fairly clean and is going to take a year or so to get messy again. I think just shimming the tube with some recycled beer-can, with or without some silicone sealant, would do the trick. Otherwise I keep forgetting to look at actual push-fit plumbing connectors in B&Q to see whether I might be able to cannibalise one. The brass tube is about 22mm OD (though I also keep forgetting to measure it) so it may be possible.

BTW the separator is awkward to remove from the back of the engine. There are 3 bolts securing the frame. It's possible to see one and a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea, but if you can lift the large hose in the top, and it lifts easily with a brass tube attached to it, then the push-fit tube clamp that is supposed to hold it in place has failed and allowed oil fumes to coat the outside and mix with dirt. Inside should just be oil that gets recovered from crankcase fumes and drains to the sump.

The clamp is part of the vacuum oil recovery unit body, and is supposed to comprise a ring that you lift to release the brass tube, as found on push-fit plumbing. If it's missing or damaged (common) it's not available separately, so either you replace the entire unit, or devise some sort of DIY seal, or put up with it.

Mine is missing entirely and is on the list of things I'll get around to at some point. Having cleaned it up a couple of months ago (brake cleaner and a cloth) it's stayed fairly clean and is going to take a year or so to get messy again. I think just shimming the tube with some recycled beer-can, with or without some silicone sealant, would do the trick. Otherwise I keep forgetting to look at actual push-fit plumbing connectors in B&Q to see whether I might be able to cannibalise one. The brass tube is about 22mm OD (though I also keep forgetting to measure it) so it may be possible.

BTW the separator is awkward to remove from the back of the engine. There are 3 bolts securing the frame. It's possible to see one and a bit.

Thanks Halftone great bit of info there much appreciated,hopefully get a chance to have a proper look this weekend
Got a few leaky bits to sort on the car and trying to find cheap fixes as money tight at the moment.. as always
Can't afford garage bills just now so having to live with it
Leaky list so far
2 injectors
3 fuel pipes from rail
Possible o/s driveshaft

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I know all about the tight money, it's been that way ever since I bought an Alfa last November ;-)

I think the separator can clog up, but more often it's just the clamp and isn't going to do any harm beyond being a bit messy. If you do try and make some sort of DIY clamp just don't make anything that can drop into the body, it could end up in the sump.

Leaky fuel pipes and injectors need sorting, though. Injectors that are leaking will carbon themselves in place with blow-by, and then be swines to remove. Most likely all they'll need is new copper washer seals @~£5 for 4 and a good external clean.

Worst case, if the seats are scored or burned or pitted they'll need to be re-cut. A cutter set is about £18 on eBay.

Do use a torque wrench for tightening the clamping nut. Not tight enough and they'll leak, too tight and the stud will snap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know all about the tight money, it's been that way ever since I bought an Alfa last November ;-)

I think the separator can clog up, but more often it's just the clamp and isn't going to do any harm beyond being a bit messy. If you do try and make some sort of DIY clamp just don't make anything that can drop into the body, it could end up in the sump.

Leaky fuel pipes and injectors need sorting, though. Injectors that are leaking will carbon themselves in place with blow-by, and then be swines to remove. Most likely all they'll need is new copper washer seals @~£5 for 4 and a good external clean.

Worst case, if the seats are scored or burned or pitted they'll need to be re-cut. A cutter set is about £18 on eBay.

Do use a torque wrench for tightening the clamping nut. Not tight enough and they'll leak, too tight and the stud will snap.

So injectors and fuel lines sooner rather than later...
They may have to be a garage job as I don't have any open ended tools to torque the fuel lines correctly and was going to just nip them up with a normal spanner bit wary doing that now
Thanks again for the help Halftone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts