Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I saw this LINK on another thread, I thought what the hell I wonder if it'll work so I've bought an intake pipe off a 145 Cloverleaf/146 TI (early version and Brazilian version) and will be fitting it tomorrow if it does'nt rain. The question is doe's anyone think it'll make a difference????????
B.T.W. if anybody else would like to try it the pipe cost me £2.33 and is part number is 60617628 :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Depends what result you want. I bet you lose bottom end torque. The first box on the air intake is there to help improve low end torque by creating a kinda vacuum or something. Can't remember exactly but I read about it a year ago or so. Jason77 removed the box from his car (2.0litre 16v) and found the same problem.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had some spare time so I've done it already, the result is slightly less torque :( just about back to where it was before the chip was changed but the car seems to pick up quicker :D :D through the gears although it is a bit noiseier :tut: under acceleration but not enough to worry about :rolleyes: and at a constant throttle the noise difference is negligable plus I've got rid of a large chunk of plastic :D . I might feed some cold air to it in the future just to see if it changes anything. :D
Marlon did Jason remove the whole airbox or just the add on bit?

·
Registered
550 Posts
So...........Do you think it worths ? :D

cheers

Jorge

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know yet I've got to give it a couple of weeks before I decide wether to replace the resonator box or keep the pipe. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
He removed that resonator box bit at the start and had a cold air feed instead. He now has it back to standard as it wasn't as good he said.

M

·
0 Posts
Forgot to say, you'll have heard a few of us go on about pulse tuning. The effect of removing the first bit of pipe will have changed the intake length. If the increase in noise is a bit like "drumming" or "thumping", you'll have upset the pulse tuning and the pulses will be out of phase, especially at the bottom end.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marlon the drumming noise is only noticeable when your listening right behind the headlamp, the other noise I heard is hardly noticable now and I think it was only there because I was listening for a change in engine noise. :confused:
Apart from a slight change to the torque right at the bottom of the rev range where you would change up anyway it seems to work allowing the engine to rev more freely. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks Marlon

And daiblack I will wait an update of your experience in a few days :D

Cheers

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick note to say please disregard anything I said about loss of Torque it seems that the ECU has now figured out that the airflow has changed and it is now going better than ever. :D :D
When I've refueled the car I'll post all the results I can think of............... :cool:

·
Registered
550 Posts
So, good news daiblack ! :D

You used the 60617628 part or any piece of tube ? :confused:

Is it really necessry to quit the entire bumper like in Squadra image ? :eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jorge Delgado said:
So, good news daiblack ! :D

You used the 60617628 part or any piece of tube ? :confused:

Is it really necessry to quit the entire bumper like in Squadra image ? :eek:

Cheers
I used 60617628 from Alfa Dealer as it fits into the airbox perfectly and has a cloth lining which seems to be there to reduce noise :confused: , I didn't remove the bumper I took the wheel off and moved the front arch liner out of the way to gain access to the rear bolts on the resonator, then I moved the power steering cooler out of the way and finally I undid the front under tray fixing on the airfilter side and lowered the tray enough to wrestle out the resonator box, my 155 does not have Air Conditioning and I can not say that the pipes for this would not get in the way..... :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well daiblack, I tried today buy the spare in Argentina ( in my country are not any spare for Alfa ) and what ? the spare is not avalaible because the 145 versions brought to South America didn´t have it. ! :rant:

Can you believe so sort of lucky ? I will try to buy a plastic tube but here...... :tut:

So it seems fifficult to do anything here :eek:

Cheers

Jorge

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jorge the parts CD lists it as being a standard item on the Brazilian 145 2l twin spark between the start of production and 1998 :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The results are in and as follows: -
1. There is NO reduction in Torque :cool:
2. There is NO reduction in Economy :cool:
3. The engine appears to rev more freely throughout the rev range :D
4. It does sound a little noisier (not uncomfortably so) ;)

Just to explain my 155 has an Autodelta Chip and a Jetex Performance airfilter fitted and at present has a standard exhaust, the economy was unaffected even though I had a ton plus blast up the motorway :tut: and carried out a few acceleration runs :tut: . The extra noise I have noticed is more of a sporty roar ;) , just enough to let you know it’s there and working, and it must be the cheapest modification I’ll ever make at £2.33 total cost and about 2 hours to fit it :D .
So as there appear to be NO disadvantages to having the pipe fitted I’ll be keeping it on my 155. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I'm in agreement. Even though I didn't fit a pipe yet, simply removing it has improved my driving experience!

M

·
0 Posts
So if it's that good.....why wasn't this part fitted as standard to all the cars ???
There must be a reason for it. I imagine the pipe is cheaper to produce than the muffle box, so it isn't a manufacturing cost thing.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It's to pass environmental noise regs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
McGuinn said:
It's to pass environmental noise regs.
Tis true, something to do with europe no doubt, they changed in 1996 on the 145 to get the noise down below the 74db threshold.......... :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
How come the 155 V6 has a straight in horn doodah to the box then and only the 16v has the funky resonator ???
I thought the V6 would produce more noise ????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts